PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bench grinder....6" or 8" for sharpening turning tools?

Kevin W Johnson
01-05-2012, 3:54 AM
I'm in the market for a bench grinder to sharpen turning tools. I have never been so disgusted in my life in looking at tools as I am looking for a bench grinder. Seems that unless you spend $500, they are all junk. The Porter Cable VS 8" at Lowes gets horrible reviews, and the tool rests are terrible as I noticed that in store when looking at it.

I know most seem to prefer 8" for sharpening. But how important is it really? Is there a major benefit of the 8"? I know that I want a slow speed, or variable speed model. The PC at Lowes is out, and I've about decided on the slow speed grinder at Woodcraft which already comes with better wheels or so it seems. Sears has a couple VS models, with the 8" being a little more than I want to spend. What to do?

Thanks

Van Huskey
01-05-2012, 5:22 AM
You may get more answers in the turning forum, a lot of the "spinny" people don't come here too often.

Eric Holmquist
01-05-2012, 5:51 AM
There are a few benefits to 8"

Better variety of wheels available
Wider wheels (Nice for sharpening bowl / spindle gouges)
Easier to set up sharpening jigs (Wolverine etc)

I have the Woodcraft 8" dual speed and use it constantly for years.

Derek Gilmer
01-05-2012, 7:04 AM
I've got the woodcraft grinder as do many of the folks teaching me about turning. It plus a wolverine jig make sharpening quick and easy. I've also read a few people that swear by the tormek + their jigs. Which grizzly makes a cheap clone of, T10097 and T100010 are the models.

Brian Tymchak
01-05-2012, 9:06 AM
I've got the woodcraft grinder as do many of the folks teaching me about turning. It plus a wolverine jig make sharpening quick and easy. I've also read a few people that swear by the tormek + their jigs. Which grizzly makes a cheap clone of, T10097 and T100010 are the models.

I decided on the woodcraft grinder as well + the wolverine base and varigrind jigs. Seems that many of the turners here on the Creek have that setup. Woodcraft has that grinder on sale right now for $90. Seemed like a pretty inexpensive solution to try and the endorsements by the turners made it an easy choice for me.

Kevin W Johnson
01-06-2012, 9:06 PM
I decided on the woodcraft grinder as well + the wolverine base and varigrind jigs. Seems that many of the turners here on the Creek have that setup. Woodcraft has that grinder on sale right now for $90. Seemed like a pretty inexpensive solution to try and the endorsements by the turners made it an easy choice for me.

Yeah, I looked at the Grizzy clone, its on sale for $94 shipped, but the replacement grinding wheel alone is $70 shipped. The high cost of replacement wheels just kills it for me. So it looks like the grinder at Woodcraft may be the only reasonable option.

I may try and make a jig for sharpening gouges on the Worksharp....

ian maybury
01-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Not sure how relevant it may be to turning, but there seems to be a strong argument for a low RPM grinder and cool running stone for sharpening use...

ian

Kevin Presutti
01-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I have eyeing this little beauty would like the the legendary T-7 but you can get into this for under $400.00 http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/tormekt-3sharpeningsystem-1.aspx .

Gary Herrmann
01-07-2012, 1:08 PM
I got a Woodcraft grinder a couple years ago. No wobble at all. Maybe I got lucky. I also now have two Baldors I've picked up for a great deal. The Baldors are much better grinders, but it is a bit of an unfair comparison.