PDA

View Full Version : Cook Island Pine

Kyle Iwamoto
01-05-2012, 3:33 AM
Picture of Cook Island pine on my lathe. And yes I usually turn with my cage down. Hopefully this works.

John Keeton
01-05-2012, 6:50 AM
That one barely clears the ways!! Looks like this is going to be a nice bowl - looking forward to the finished piece.

Norm Zax
01-05-2012, 6:55 AM
A big one, no doubt about it. Not sure the face shield will give you anything in this case. Like stopping a train with a pillow.
Stay safe.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2012, 7:43 AM
Looks like quite the chunk of wood! Wish the photo was larger - cause I can barely make out the really long curlies coming off your gouge! Have fun!! Looking forward to seeing this once finished!

steven carter
01-05-2012, 8:52 AM
Lookin good Kyle. Did you get a lathe upgrade that I missed? Also did you ever turn the maple I sent you? I have a monkeypod box drying from what you sent me.

Steve

Scott Hackler
01-05-2012, 9:35 AM
Thats going to be a whopper!

David E Keller
01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Looks like fun! I hope you've got something big enough to soak that in when you get it turned... Looking forward to seein it finished!

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Now that is a blank.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Lookin good Kyle. Did you get a lathe upgrade that I missed? Also did you ever turn the maple I sent you? I have a monkeypod box drying from what you sent me.

Steve

I think I made a platter/lazy susan. The wife claimed it. Yes I got a new 16/42 last year. Well. I guess it's 2 years ago now.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
The picture was too big (6 megs) so the site kept rejecting the upload. So I had to make it small enough to fit. That curl actually went down to the floor. Fun stuff.
Yeah the shield won't stop the blank, but it helps a lot. That's why the cage is down..... It stops all of the small parts and the WATER. I was soaked after. I actually got 3 bowl blanks, still working on learning how to core. All of you pros could have gotten 5 bowls... At least. Blanks are drying in paper bags now.

Thanks for all your replies.

Tim Rinehart
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Sweet! Look forward to seeing more progress and final shots on this one!

charlie knighton
01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
cook pine, interesting, hope you show it when finished

Bill Wyko
01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
When I went to Hawaii in 09, the first thing I saw when I got off the plane was a display of some Cooks Pine turnings. Those were my first photographs of the island.What an incredibly beautiful wood to work with. Looks like a meteor entering the atmosphere. It's also cool that the knots seem to always line up around the tree. Makes for some exquisite turnings. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
Here's my first picture of Hawaii. Don't remember the artists name though.( Appropriate first pic for a wood turner wouldn't you say?)
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23989685/400382265.jpg

Curt Fuller
01-05-2012, 1:05 PM
There are so many things in that picture that make me jealous. The lathe, the wood, but mostly turning outside in January in sunshine and shirtsleeves. Cook pine is similar to Norfolk pine? Can't wait to see the finished bowls.

Scott Hackler
01-05-2012, 2:53 PM
I wish to squash any Hawaii or Hawaii vacation comments! We are preping for our usual winter here in the Midwest and I sit at home looking at homes for sale in Hawaii in the evening! :) Super envious of you islanders and your beautiful state. Been there twice and didn't want to leave either time. Someday....someday.......:)

Kyle Iwamoto
01-05-2012, 4:19 PM
Okay, 7 bucks for a gallon of milk...... Hows that for a deterrent?
OR $500K gets you a regular house on a tiny lot out in the sticks. And no sticks bashing, cuz that's where I live. Good thing the wood is free..... Or I'd have to go back to turning pen blanks.

Cook Island pine is a close relative to the Norfolk Island pine. Some of the botanists here say that we actually have a hybrid-ish version(s). The wood is slightly darker in the CIP I think. So NIP translucents better. The NIP also has the branches that are radial from a single point, very nice pattern, where the CIP sometimes are in a whorl pattern. The bark is the giveaway. CIP bark flakes off.

Scott Hackler
01-05-2012, 6:43 PM
I know what you mean about "sticker shock". Good thing we found out about the Safeway club cards and that Walmart and Safeway aren't priced the same! I think we managed $4 a gal for milk at Safeway but had to go to Walmart for cereal for $5 a box! Kinda weird.

I got the mango you sent me, turned and finish started before the hand surgery but haven't been able to work in the shop since the surgery. Sure is nice wood.