PDA

View Full Version : Make Die Cutting Dies

andrew zen
01-05-2012, 1:23 AM
I need to cut a whole bunch of paper and fabric shapes. My girlfriend is a scrapbooker and journaler and die cutting is a universal skill. I was wondering if anyone here used the laser to create the top and bottom of cutting dies? Can the laser etch a line into 1/4 delrin and a cutting "blade" be inserted out of thin steel for punch dies.

For the rolling die cutter/embosser like a cuttlebug or sissix, what can be cut on a laser to create this die mats?

Anyone with experience. I would cut the fabric on the laser, but there are the drawbacks for quantity.

We also have a grapthec cutter, does anyone cut fabric on a cutter using a carrier sheet?

Maybe this can solve those "I need to cut a whole lot of paper on a laser" questions I see quite often here.

Joe Flores
01-05-2012, 1:14 PM
Andrew,
Most die shops use high powered lasers to cut through die board. There are many obstacles to making your own dies.
You have to cut the kerf to the right dimension .028 ( 2pt).
Bridges are needed for for strength and for mfg.
The steel rule which is very sharp has to be bent & notched.
Along with other tricks of the trade, too numerous to mentions.
Most die shops would probably charge about $100 for a die.
Depending on size & compexity.
Joe.

David Fairfield
01-05-2012, 2:26 PM
Interesting, didn't know there was such a thing as a die shop. I need a simple circular punch and die, specific diameter I can't find commercially. Any suggestions where to ask for one custom made? Thanks!

Dave

Doug Griffith
01-05-2012, 2:31 PM
I've used quite a few dies and recommend http://www.appledie.com