PDA

View Full Version : Ornamentational carving in furniture....recomend some tools please :)

George Farra
01-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone

I'd like to take advantage of woodcrafts sale on Pfeil carving tools. I want to get started in carving by focusing on ornamentational carvings in my furniture work. I figured mu first purchase should include a v-tool and a veiner. When it comes to gouges can anyone recommend the common ones needed to perform ornamentational carvings on furniture.

I'd like to get started by learning how to do leaves and/or vines on draw fronts, corner ornaments on doors, details on table legs, etc.

TIA

George

Ed Looney
01-14-2012, 4:20 PM
Hi George
I just finished a class with Mary May http://www.marymaycarving.com/ at our local Wood Craft store. I was impressed with Mary's ability not only as a carver but as an instructor as well. The class was on basic carving for furniture ornamentation.
The 5 tools needed for the class listed below. This is a basic set no bells or whistles.
4/14
3/8
12/6 V gouge
3/3
7/10

Hope this helps

Ed

George Farra
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi Ed

Thank you, definately helpful. I've heard that Mary May is a great teacher. She is an amazing carver

Regards

George