PDA

View Full Version : Ultima has arrived

Brian Libby
01-04-2012, 8:42 PM
My Sorby Ultima hollowing tool arrived today (Rolly Munro "clone" )
I attended an all day demo of Graeme Priddle from New Zealand at Maine woodturners and Graeme used the Munro hollower. I liked how it performed and finally decided to order the Sorby look alike ( I already have the handle) . I also purchased a Nova SN2 chuck. I hope to put them to work shortly.

Harry Robinette
01-04-2012, 9:00 PM
Brian
Outstanding tools, when you try the Ultima for the first time it's REALLY REALLY GRABBY only have just a hair of cutter out and get ready cause it will surprise you. I have one and finally got it to work really well by putting it in my homemade monster that made it work really good.Could be me but just start off really easy. Remember you only dovetail the inside expansion mode,the outside tenon has straight sides.Love my NOVA'S.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
WOW - everything is so shiny! Be sure to let us know how you like using the Sorby hollower!

Baxter Smith
01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I have heard a few people talk about how much they like the Munro hollower. I will be interested to hear what you think of it once you have tried it a few times.

John M. Smith
01-05-2012, 5:48 AM
I purchased one of these last year. Was very gabby, so I used it very little. Then I read somewhere that you need to treat the part that covers the cutter as the bevel. And when you use that bevel to rub it got a lot smoother. I also agree with Harry, as I tried it out in my monster articulated rig. It can really remove a lot of wood fast then. Let us know how you like it.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-05-2012, 8:41 AM
Brian I don't want to rain on your parade but do yourself a favor and return it if you haven't used it and buy the Rolly Munro. I have had the Rolly for several years now & have hollowed 100 plus vessels with it. I have also used the Sorby you have, & I know of 3 people who have broken them. They may seem similar in design but there is actualy quite a bit of difference in them in actual use & performance & quality. Sorby has some defendant down sides compared to the Rolly.
I know the Rolly is more expensive but it's well worth the extra $$$

Roland Martin
01-05-2012, 9:05 AM
Congrats Brian, I like my SN2, but have never used the Sorby hollower. Have fun and be safe!

Bill Wyko
01-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Beautiful set up. Does the cutter rotate? I see the knurled ring towards the cutter but I can't tell what it does. Looks like a very solid set up. Looking forward to your review.