PDA

View Full Version : Twin Tables

Todd Burch
01-04-2012, 3:49 PM
My son, starting his first year at Texas A&M, (~15 months ago) said he didn't need a table in his apartment - he could just sit at the couch and eat. I begged to differ, and decided to make him a small table. And, I "threw the line out" on facebook with my network, asking who else might want one. My son's life-long friend said he would take one too, so I doubled the recipe's ingredients (so to speak).

These are made from pine I harvested back in Sept 2001.

They are 30" tall and ~27" square tops. Each has one (big) drawer.

218250 218252 218253 218251

The drawers slide (pine on pine) between the bottom rail and an upper kicker. A little bit of canning wax makes them go slippy slidy.

I keep, in the shop, this lazy suzan jig that allows me to spin an object while I am am sanding or finishing. Quite handy. Just a 12" ball bearing ring between two pieces of MDF. Bottom MDF is longer which allows clamping it to the work surface.

I used two colors of milk paint - one is salem red and the other is barn red. Paint is from from The Old Fashioned Milk Paint company. Go read about it if you are not familiar with it.

218249 218248

I silk screened a checkerboard on top with black milk paint. Turned out pretty good. Then, I used clear lacquer to topcoat them. Both recipients were very happy to receive them.

Thanks for looking. (I have a ton more photos of the process if there is any interest)

Todd

Jim Rimmer
01-04-2012, 4:16 PM
Great looking tables and I'm sure they will get a lot of (ab)use. The first photos look kind of maroon in color but the last one with both tables looks kind of burnt orange :D Hope it's just the lighting.

Todd Burch
01-04-2012, 4:28 PM
Yes, bad lighting both cases. Here are some better pictures.

218260 218261 218262

The darker table is barn red, and the lighter salem red. My son (maroon wall behind him) got the barn red.

This was taken during the screening process. The screen cost $80 (I did the artwork in SketchUp and exported to PDF, had a transparency made at FedEx Office and handed it to the screen maker. (I also made the frame for the screen... now I'm wondering why it cost me $80!!! I did a lot of the work!)

218258 218259

(Oh, and I also bought them both 2 chairs to go with their first piece of furniture! They were so excited. I've also since found them both a set of boxed chess pieces at antique stores.)

Rick Moyer
01-04-2012, 7:57 PM
Nice tables. Roommates? I hope the finish holds up to beer pong:). BFF doesn't seem to like the Longhorns does he!

Todd Burch
01-04-2012, 9:03 PM
LOL!! I guess you know the shirt then. No, not roommates, but at the time, the same school. BFF is now in Fireman school and doing very well at it. I hope he doesn't light the table to practice.

Jim Becker
01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Those are awesome, Todd!

Adam Cormier
01-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Excellent work. Thanks for the earlier explanation too!