PDA

View Full Version : Stencil material question

Scott duprat
01-04-2012, 2:44 PM
Hello all,

I have a question about engraving materials being used as stencil. I teach in a high school and have a laser and vinyl cutter as well as CNC router available to use for a stencil that the auto collision teacher is looking to have me make. The stencil will be used for air brushing onto vehicles, motorcycle gas tanks, etc. I have some 1/16" laser engravable stock (IPI Front Laserables), this would work for me to cut with the laser but he does not think that it will be bendable enough for some more curved surfaces. I see that IPI has 1/32" LaserThins - has anyone out there ever use this for airbrushing vehicles? I could go with something that I have used in the past as a stencil - vinyl sheets from "Plaid - Gallery Glass", this I would need to use the vinyl cutter for, but it is hard on the machine and does not leave a clean edge sometimes. I could use heavy paperboard/card stock, but I would like them to be reusable and want to stay away from that.

Any suggestions, thoughts on the 1/32" LaserThins?

Scott

Khalid Nazim
01-04-2012, 3:13 PM
I have started cutting stencils on Mylar 0.01" thick (i think that translates to 1/64) for an Airbrush Art Supply store. The person had tested it for his use and found it be totally acceptable. I recall Mike Null suggesting me to use Mylar.

Joe Pelonio
01-04-2012, 9:25 PM
For vehicle airbrush jobs I always use plotter cut vinyl. It's not re-usable but will conform to the curves, leaves nice sharp edges, and is easily removable. I use Arlon Cal-mask which is stiffer than regular sign vinyl with a weaker adhesive but you can use regular calendared (intermediate) vinyl and use a hair dryer to remove it easily if only on a day or two.

Mike Null
01-05-2012, 6:18 AM
I agree with Joe if you really need a sharp edge.