PDA

View Full Version : Atkins 2 Man Crosscut Saw No. 52

Pete Zavala
01-04-2012, 2:43 PM
Hi gentlemen, I have a question about an Atkins crosscut saw. I came across two No. 52 Atkins Crosscut saws for which I have not been able to find any information. The closest I've seen is an Atkins No. 51 that I found in http://montanacrosscuts.com/products/atkins51saw.html

These saws have an ATKINS Silver Steel logo enclosed in an oval stamp and a no. 52 enclosed in a circle next to the logo. They are 6 1/2 feet long by 5 1/2 inches wide. The saws are still in their original shipping container which has the supplier's name and address: MARSHALL NEWELL SUP CO., SPEAR & MISSION STS, SAN FRANCISCO CALIF.
Needless to say, this company is no longer in business in San Francisco. If anyone can provide information about this saw, I'd appreciate it.
I haven't figure out how to attach photos so here is a link to some pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=zavalapc&target=ALBUM&id=5693852039450955169&authkey=Gv1sRgCMDs3t_g-ob_HQ&invite=CIGanLgJ&feat=email

Paul Steiner
01-04-2012, 4:21 PM
Pete,
That is a really nice find. Unfortunately I can not help you with info on the saw. But I would love to know more on how you came across them. Find them in a barn or attic, buy them at an auction, estate sale?
And what are you going to use them for?
I have 2 cross cut blades that I display as decoration in my shop, I think they look great hung up. One is strictly decoration the other could be sharpened and cut with. When my son is old enough it would be fun to buck a few pieces with him. Also everytime the Stihl timbersports series in on ESPN I always get fired up and think about breaking the saw out.

Pete Zavala
01-04-2012, 5:57 PM
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response. I bought these saws along with a lot of woodworking items from an Estate sale near San Francisco, CA. According to the gentleman that sold them to me, they belonged to his father who collected old hand saws among other antiques. I might decide to sell one of them. I'm not sure yet. Will like to learn more about it's history before I decide what to do with them.