PDA

View Full Version : Buying used truck from dealer

Dave Lehnert
01-04-2012, 1:09 PM
Thinking about buying a used truck. looked at a Toyoda Tundra. I'm SHOCKED! A used 2007 with over 100,000 miles cost close to my Ford F150 new in 1997. My 15 year old truck has less miles on it.

Guess I will look into historic plates for my Ford. LOL!

Anthony Whitesell
01-04-2012, 2:49 PM
I looked at a new 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 outfitted the same as my '05. The dealer wanted $52,000! :eek: 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 for $52k. Wow! :eek:
I cannot imagine paying $52,000 for a personal vehicle. In my younger days, in 2000 I opted for a light ly used (2500 miles) 2000 Lincoln LS that cost $29k. I look back now and realize how much too much I paid for a car. My '04 Altima was bought new for $18k. Now has 202k on it, and I don't think I've spent $1k in repairs total to date. Though I'm having an issue now that may push it close.

Bob Riefer
01-04-2012, 3:27 PM
Makes me feel much better about my Ford ranger that I bought for $8,000 used and have driven for the past 100,000 miles!

Although, I just found out I'm getting a company truck next month. Silverado, painted with company logo, but still, I'm PUMPED :)

David Weaver
01-04-2012, 3:48 PM
Silverado, painted with company logo, but still..

Can't see that logo from the driver's seat, right? Nothin better than a company vehicle.

Dave Lehnert
01-04-2012, 5:00 PM
I just read an issue of consumer reports (cars and trucks) and the Silverado 2500 was on the models to avoid list.

David Helm
01-04-2012, 5:05 PM
Makes me feel much better about my Ford ranger that I bought for $8,000 used and have driven for the past 100,000 miles!

Although, I just found out I'm getting a company truck next month. Silverado, painted with company logo, but still, I'm PUMPED :)

I agree wholeheartedly. The used Toyotas are very, very overpriced!

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2012, 5:06 PM
Doesn't surprise me. The Tundra value is really holding up, regularly ranked as tops in residual value. They haven't made any significant changes in the last several years, and with the tough economy, the older models years are still in demand and I bet that there is somewhat of a shortage of used Tundra's on the market also driving the resale cost up.

Larry Edgerton
01-04-2012, 6:40 PM
I look at the numbers, and my business will no longer support what they want for a new truck. A very basic truck is in the 25K range, and will be rusted out in five years, worth maybe 35% of the purchase price. The used market at dealers is false, numbers are held up to promote new sales.

So.... That is $3550 {Tax added in} that I have to lose every year to drive a new truck if I keep it five years. So that is two thirds of a month of work at 40 hours, just not worth it. And that is just the loss, not the cost of the truck. Insurance is more, need to factor that in too.

I sold my new truck last year as it was paid off to put the money into my new house and started driving my tool van. Every month I make myself drive it one more month, one more month....

I'd like to have a new truck, but they are nuts. The same diesel truck I bought in 2001 for $31k is now pushing $50K. It has no more value to me now than it did in 2001.

My first new truck was in 1976, a 1/2 ton 4x4 shorty Ford with a six/stick and not a lot more. It cost me $4300 out the door. If I had only known I would have bought a dozen!

Larry

Dick Adair
01-04-2012, 7:05 PM
Ever since the Govt rebate program, and they destroyed all the trade ins, prices have gone through the roof. I looked at used cars early last spring and they were starting to go crazy because there were no used cars available. I just spent $2100.00 to rebuild the transmission in my 1996 Chrysler LXI with 225,000 miles on it and I think I did the right thing. Interior and engine in excellent shape. I looked at 2010 vans and I liked mine better. I'm very happy with my decision. And no car payments!

curtis rosche
01-04-2012, 7:19 PM
a used ford f150 isnt too bad a price. we looked at selling our new one to consolited some of our 6 cars, but they would only pay half of what was owed on it. even though it has 4k on it and had only been owned for 4 months

Brian Elfert
01-04-2012, 9:12 PM
A huge reason used car prices have gone up is because people are holding onto cars longer. New car sales over the past few years are 10 to 15 million less than they would have been if sales had not dropped. The cars crushed under the government program represent only a fraction of the decline in new car sales.

Don Jarvie
01-05-2012, 1:49 PM
When I was looking for a new truck I saw a 2008 Ford F150 Lariet on the lot with 103,000 and they wanted 22 grand for it.

Used trucks can be had for reasonable dollars with decent miles on them but you need to act fast. If you like one particular model you can give the dealer a idea of what you want and see what they can find for you.

Paul Steiner
01-05-2012, 8:19 PM
Toyotas are really overpriced and in some areas they sell really quick. I went truck shopping for something with 4 doors and all the toyota dealers had trouble keeping tacomas on the lot. And the prices were high for a truck with 100K or even 150K, I was told more than one time, this is a 300K vehicle. Yeah 300K even if a previous owner ran it out of oil, I am sure. I finally found one on ebay for a reasonable price, runs great I really like it.

Pat Barry
01-05-2012, 9:06 PM
Its a bad news good news story isn't it? Bad for the buyer but good for the seller. Cars last longer than they ever did, they don't rust out like the used to, they get better gas mileage, and they are safer. That said, I would rather buy new than get someone elses used one.

Larry Edgerton
01-06-2012, 6:51 AM
I agree Pat, especially right now.

If a dealer has a clean used car they have something that is unusual, and hard to find, so the price is what the market will bare.

A new car on the other hand is the same no matter what dealer you go to, so they have to compete. I have found new is a better deal generally for the last 15 years or so.

Larry

Jamie Buxton
01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't understand why it is, but dealer prices on used vehicles seem high when compared to the same dealer's prices on new vehicles. They'll be asking almost the same price for a vehicle with 50,000 miles on it as a new one. Shop new vehicles -- dealers seem to really want to move them fast. Buy generic vehicles -- ones built in high volume, and which the dealers need to move. Pay cash, and don't do a trade-in --- so you can focus on the deal, and not get confused by a shell game.

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
If you have the time too look you can get a great deal on a used car. I was at a dealer looking for a car. They had a Mustang (mid life thing) less than a year old with around 20K miles. They were asking 18K for it. I said my budget was $12-$13K. They said "OK" then I said I would not buy it because something had to be wrong with it. They gave me the extended warranty.
The deal was it had some minor problems. The hood needed repainted, a wheel bearing needed replaced, dome light did not work. Dealer said if they repaired it it would cost them. If I purchased it, came back in a week it would be fixed under warranty. That is what I did and the car has given me no problems in 10 years. This is the only used car I have purchased and it was a good experience.

Dave Wagner
01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I;ll Keep my 2004 F150 FX4 Ext. Cab for a while now. I think I paid $24K or so used back in 2005 (had a trade in though). Don't drive it much, but it's reliable.
New trucks are just crazy, $30-50K!! depending. It's only got 46,000 miles.!!

Scott Donley
01-06-2012, 10:56 PM
You can always get a Nissan !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DefiYiEF4E