PDA

View Full Version : miter saw recomendations

peter chavez
03-13-2005, 12:46 PM
hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying a compound miter saw and I was woundering if any one has any recomendations. I have narrowed it down to three: the Delta 12" twin laser (36-255L), Porter Cable 12" twin laser (3802L), or the Dewalt 12" double bevel (DW706).

I know that the Delta and Porter Cable models are essentially the same saw, but I've noticed that the Porter Cable model is priced almost $50 higher than the Delta. Does anyone know why that is? Is there a difference between the two that would justify the price difference?

I like the twin laser feature offered by the Delta and Porter Cable models but I'm interested in the double bevel feature of the dewalt plus the dewalt claims to put out 4000 RPMs while the Delta and Porter Cable put out 3500 RPMs.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these saws? Are there any pro or cons to consider? which whould you guys consider a beter feature; the twin laser or the double bevel? Are 500 extra
RPMs significantly more important?

Thanks guys.

Ted Shrader
03-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Peter -

First, Welcome to the Creek. Great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

Any of the three saws you listed will work just fine. I have the DeWalt and it returns to dead-on 90° after adjustment to other angles.

Ted

JayStPeter
03-13-2005, 1:41 PM
I have the Delta 12" twin laser. It is a decent saw, but not great. I don't use the laser when I want exact cuts. It works well when close is good enough (ie construction). But, when you want a tight joint, I use the edge of the blade just like a non-laser saw.
Overall, I think the DW is probably a better saw. If I were to do it again, I'd probably get the DW. In retrospect, I'd rather have the dual bevel than the twin laser.

Jay

Mike Cutler
03-13-2005, 5:33 PM
Peter. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I have the Dewalt 705. It only tilts one way, unlike the 706. It's a nice saw, it's accurate and repeatable. The blade that comes with it is ok but I went to a full Kerf 80 tooth blade for shop work.
Once again welcome.

John Hulett
03-13-2005, 8:38 PM
I bought a 12" Craftsman saw. Not top of the line, but decent. It's accurate. I use the laser, but just as a general guideline, not as the line I cut to. After 7 months with this saw, and after reading some general recommendations here at SMC, I would opt for a 10" slider if I were to replace it today. I read a post recently that heavily recommended the Makita 10" slider. General reasons: 1: same size/interchangeable blades w/ your TS (assuming you have one) and 2: more capacity for crosscutting (ala taking the place of a RAS).

John Miliunas
03-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Peter! Great place to hang out, with a bunch of swell folks!:)

I used to have a Dewalt. It was a nice saw but, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I picked up the Delta twin laser. The puppy was spot-on out of the box, I've used it extensively and it's still right on. Yes, I DO use the laser a LOT. I have found that, if you do a bit of careful experimenting and some tweaking, you can easily use it for very accurate cuts. Also, when it comes to meeting joints (45's and such), you really want to clamp your work on an extension table anyway, to avoid any drift. FWIW, I do have the Forrest Chopmaster on mine and I certainly don't miss the whatever extra few hundred RPM's of the Dewalt. I would definitely buy it again!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
03-14-2005, 8:22 AM
Peter, welcome to SMC! You have joined a really great forum. I truely hope that you enjoy your time here.

As John said, I really like the laser feature of my saw. After you get used to it, you can make VERY accruate cuts with it. I have a Craftsman 12" SCMS so I can't give you specific advice on the saws you listed. However, I can say that the SCMS is one of the most used tools in my shop!

Good luck in your search and welcome again to the creek!

Bill Arnold
03-14-2005, 8:32 AM
Peter,

Welcome to the Creek! It's a great place to hang out and exchange information.

I have the DeWalt 706 and couldn't be more pleased. I replaced the thin-kerf blade that came on it with a beefier, 1/8" cutoff blade. Never have understood why they put a thin-kerf blade on a miter saw, but then I don't get the big bucks for making marketing decisions.

Incidently, when I cut miters I make the first cut just shy of the line, then creep up on the final dimension. In some woods, even the 'best' blade on the 'best' saw might deflect a little. By making the final cut just a shaving pass, there is no deflection. I get great miters using this method.

Regards,

peter chavez
03-15-2005, 5:36 AM
thanks for all the info guys. I got a lot of thinking to do, I think I leaning towards the delta though. Thanks again.

Bob Aquino
03-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Peter
I have the 3802 non laser version. Its a pretty good saw, very well built. One thing to keep in mind though is that it is HEAVY. If you are looking to permanently mount it someplace, then no problem. If you want to carry it to the work site, then I hope you eat your wheaties. I have an old ryobi 10" that is good to carry outside or wherever I need it. I had thought about giving it away when I got the 12", but wisely decided to keep it as my portable. Just a thought.

Rob Russell
03-15-2005, 11:33 AM
I'd skip the laser and go for a SCMS. Yeah, I know they cost more. When you're installing moulding, you want the ability to bevel on both sides. Sliding just gives you that much more capacity. I have the DW708 and am glad I spent the extra money for it. I'll never be in a situation where I find myself saying "I wish I'd a bought the ... saw because this one can't do whatever-it-is".

John Pollman
03-15-2005, 11:42 AM
I've got the Dewalt DW706. It's my FAVORITE tool ! I don't know what I'd do without it. A couple of months ago I was due for a new blade so while at Home Depot I just grabbed the Dewalt replacement blade. But walking away I noticed another 12" miter saw blade with a "free" laser guide. I think it's an 80 tooth and it was only like $49. I picked it up and installed the blade and laser. Man that laser is nice to have !

The 706 gets my vote.