PDA

View Full Version : ebook sharing sites

Bob Rufener
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Last night, I was searching for books available from other sources for my new Nook Tablet from other than Barnes & Noble. There were several web sites that appeared to be book sharing sites for Nooks and one site that charged a one time fee of $49.99 and you could download books for free after that. Has anyone had any experiences with these sites and if so, what are your thoughts? I don't mind paying for books but if I can save a few bucks, I will.

Also, someone in another thread mentioned about rooting their Nook so it will be able to download from Amazon. I have no clue what rooting means and how to do it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for your help.

Matt Meiser
01-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Our public library lets you borrow eBooks free.

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Also, someone in another thread mentioned about rooting their Nook so it will be able to download from Amazon. I have no clue what rooting means and how to do it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for your help.

"Rooting" means gaining a super user level of access on the device, allowing you to load software and do things that you normally can't do. "root" is a carryover from the UNIX operating system which is the user with the highest level of permissions and also the owner of most of the fundamental system processes.

I've never rooted a Nook ar any other mobile device but since I was a little bit interested and had a few minutes I googled it up and found this link (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/02/howto-root-a-nook-color-to-transform-it-into-an-android-tablet.ars). I don't know if it's the best way but, with a bit of googling, you can probably get this done.

HTH, Brian

Dan Hintz
01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
There were several web sites that appeared to be book sharing sites for Nooks and one site that charged a one time fee of $49.99 and you could download books for free after that. Has anyone had any experiences with these sites and if so, what are your thoughts? I don't mind paying for books but if I can save a few bucks, I will.
Most of these sites don't share any money with the publisher/author, and are therefore illegal. Sharing public domain works is fine, but it's also somewhat limiting to the person who wants to grab the latest novel off of the shelf. I imagine any site that charges a low, one-time fee for unlimited downloads is either offering public domain works or is operating illegally.

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
"Rooting" means gaining a super user level of access on the device, allowing you to load software and do things that you normally can't do. "root" is a carryover from the UNIX operating system which is the user with the highest level of permissions and also the owner of most of the fundamental system processes.

I've never rooted a Nook ar any other mobile device but since I was a little bit interested and had a few minutes I googled it up and found this link (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/02/howto-root-a-nook-color-to-transform-it-into-an-android-tablet.ars). I don't know if it's the best way but, with a bit of googling, you can probably get this done.

HTH, Brian

I should also mention that rooting will likely void your warranty...

Dave Lehnert
01-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I was told also that rooting would void the warranty. Be surprised if that was not true.

I had my eye on the Nook because of the ease of side loading. But some new reviews say that the new software update released before Christmas does away with side loading. Not sure how true that is but have read it from more than one person.

Graham Wintersgill
01-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Bob

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page has free books that are out of copyright.

http://calibre-ebook.com/ is a free ebook organiser / convertor

Regards

Graham

David Helm
01-04-2012, 5:11 PM
I have an ipad 2. Got free apps for Kindle, iBooks and Google books. Don't like the single ereaders like kindle. Way too exclusive.