PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0513X Cast Iron Trunion Upgrade?

Matt Meiser
01-04-2012, 9:17 AM
What is the advantage of the cast iron trunnion upgrade kit shown in the catalog for the G0513/4 bandsaws?

Brian Ross
01-04-2012, 9:22 AM
I have upgraded my 513X when the Cast became available. Quite honestly I do not see a difference but I do not do a lot of resawing of long stock. If you were to add a power feeder or put stress on the table I suppose the added mass of cast would help.

Brian

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
I see some documents indicating that they are cast aluminum and others saying that they are steel; what are the "stock" trunnions made of?

Matt Meiser
01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
They are heavier stampings. I'm wondering if these have proven to be problematic or if its just a status type thing? Mine has seen pretty light use from the first owner and I've only had it a few months.

Grizzly calls them Cast Iron.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Optional-Heavy-Duty-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-for-G0513-G0513X-G0514X/H8193

Van Huskey
01-04-2012, 1:35 PM
I haven't seen anyone complain about them specifically. If you are going to be sawing really heavy things like green logs the cast iron trunnions might be necessary but in use if you aren't seeing any table lean I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest discussion about them ususally centers on whether moving up to the next model with CI trunnions and other "upgrades" is worth the extra money. In those cases many suggest going up because the small increase in cost usually is a better value within the Grizzly line. In the case of already owning one I would suggest not replacing anything until you find it lacking, it isn't the same bargain as moving up a model when buying new.

Mark Ashmeade
01-04-2012, 2:26 PM
I have a lowly 513P. It's not got the bells and whistles of the higher spec models. Neither have I found it lacking. I suppose the trunnions will be fine until they fail. However, steel stamped in an arch shape, as trunnions must be, is pretty strong. If they fail, I'll consider why they failed at the time. If it was operator error (likely!), then I'll probably fix them with steel again, $13. If it's because they didn't hold up to a task I'd see myself doing again, then I'd consider the cast ones ($90).

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 2:45 PM
Guess I'm telling off on myself, but if I had that saw and they offered a cast iron replacement trunnion I'd be all over it just because in the back of my mind I think cast iron is better. Zero proof, but I've done the same thing in reverse on my Shopsmith bandsaw. The new updated, bigger, fence capable, and all the other bells and whistles added table is Aluminum my old one is cast iron and I won't "upgrade".

glenn bradley
01-04-2012, 3:16 PM
I see some documents indicating that they are cast aluminum and others saying that they are steel; what are the "stock" trunnions made of?

Stock trunnions on my G0513X are steel with the same hardened steel teeth attached as they attach to the cast iron offering. When the 513 was introduced the critics really had to nit-pick to find anything bad about it at its price point. Someone started the "it oughta have CI trunnions" ball rolling and it really took off. Grizzly responded with the G0513X2. I would imagine if I were going to cut anything that would get any flex out of the steel trunnions I have, I should be looking at a bigger saw but, I do take comfort from the fact that I could upgrade if I wanted to. So far, years later, no desire but, I am glad they have them available for those that want them. Argh, argh, argh.