PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about router bits....

Duane Bledsoe
01-04-2012, 8:14 AM
First question.......I've read a few threads here about where people have broken router bits during use. I've not had this happen yet but I'm sure someday it might and I'm just wondering about it. From what I know a router bit is spinning somewhere near 25,000 RPM's, so what happens when it snaps at that speed?? I'm expecting it to be like a bullet coming out of there!!

Second question, not nearly as dramatic as the first.......I have an Eagle America catalog here for some bits. On the cover is what looks like a straight bit, but it has some extras added to it. Looks like it has an O-ring slid onto the shaft down to the bit's back side, followed by a bearing, and then a stop collar. Is this an accepted method of making a flush trim bit or pattern bit?? Looks like adding all that extra stuff would make the shank a bit short for putting it into the router.

Bill Huber
01-04-2012, 8:38 AM
On the first question, I have broken a router bit and it just broke, nothing really happen but the bit just broke. When a bit gets dull and you start putting more push pressure on it that is when they will snap.

On the second question I really have no idea unless it is a Laminate Trim bit of some type.

Cary Falk
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
I have had a bit break before and it just fell to the gorund. Without seeing a picture I can't answer your other question.

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
When I had one break, as soon as I realized what happened, I got a little panicky and started looking for gushing blood. Once I realized i was still in one piece, I found the bit on the ground close to where I was working. I'm thinking any small bit (straight type of bit) would do the same, but larger, wider bits (like panel cutters) could really fly...

Lee Schierer
01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Most router bits break when in contact with the wood, they usually stop in their tracks and just all to the floor or into the cavity.

I've seen o-rings used on the bit shank to prevent the bit from bottoming out in the collet where it will not allow the collet to tighten properly.

Van Huskey
01-04-2012, 1:39 PM
Router bit breakage is usually not a scary affair, but I suppose it could be. In any event it is a reason to use 1/2" shank bits for any bit that is made with a 1/2" shank.

glenn bradley
01-04-2012, 1:51 PM
Agree. A bit I broke was a very delicate keyhole bit and it was not real exciting. As to the pattern bit, as long as you get 1" of shaft (for 1/2" shank) into the collet you should be fine, no less. I use a lot of pattern bits but, the shaft is abnormally long to allow for the top bearing as you describe.

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 1:52 PM
Router bit breakage is usually not a scary affair, but I suppose it could be. In any event it is a reason to use 1/2" shank bits for any bit that is made with a 1/2" shank.

Kind of funny, the one I broke was a 1/4" cutter with a 1/2" shaft... guess it doesn't matter on which end the skinny part is located.

Van Huskey
01-04-2012, 2:05 PM
Kind of funny, the one I broke was a 1/4" cutter with a 1/2" shaft... guess it doesn't matter on which end the skinny part is located.

True. Some of the 1/2" shank bits have a "bit" more beef where they attach but some bits like dovetails are about the same either way.

Jeff Monson
01-04-2012, 2:30 PM
"knock on wood" :cool: I have only broken 3 bits, they have all been cheap bits from the large "gotta have" router bit sets. They all broke while in contact with wood...nothing flew apart or across the shop. I usually only buy Freud 1/2" shank bits now, they seem very durable.

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 2:41 PM
I usually only buy Freud 1/2" shank bits now, they seem very durable.

Those are my go to bits now (along with Whiteside) especially the quadra cuts. I can't swear that they cut cleaner, but it sure seems like they would <g>.

Jeff Monson
01-04-2012, 2:47 PM
Those are my go to bits now (along with Whiteside) especially the quadra cuts. I can't swear that they cut cleaner, but it sure seems like they would <g>.

Jerome they have to cut better, anything that costs more works better.....right. I like the quadra cuts too, endgrain cuts are where they really shine. I dont have any whitesides, I wouldnt be afraid to buy any based on opinions here.

Myk Rian
01-04-2012, 3:14 PM
A keyhole bit that broke, did just that. Nothing more.
Depending how it is being used, they could take off and hurt you.

The O-ring is to prevent bottoming out in the collet.