PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Outboard Stands and Tool Rests

Cory Norgart
01-04-2012, 7:20 AM
Our woodclub, The Rainy River Area Woodworkers, recently purchased a lathe from the local High School, a Delta 1642, in nice shape. We are discussing making an outboard stand for the lathe as we are a new club without alot of money. We do have a couple of Metal Trades members with us and have a few ideas. I have access to just about any kind or peice of steel we will need. Does anyone have any thoughts, pictures, or examples of homemade outboard stands that they have made, seen, or come across? Much appreciated.

Russell Eaton
01-04-2012, 7:43 AM
This is one that I made. You NEED to keep 1 foot on the flat steel if you are using a lot of pressure on the rest, it keeps the rest from moving into the piece.

Jamie Donaldson
01-04-2012, 12:00 PM
DO NOT attempt to use any kind of outboard stand that has potential to tilt into the spinning work! They are fine if mechanically braced against the lathe, but resist the temptation to overload the lathe capabilities by turning larger outboard work than the lathe was designed and built to handle.

John Keeton
01-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Cory, there have been several threads recently on this topic. You might want to do a search of this forum to see what pops up. Seems I recall a thread just 2-3 months ago asking for pics, as well. Or, you might try a Google advanced search - I use a string like this: outboard toolrest site:sawmillcreek.org That will give you a lot of SMC posts on the topic.

Cory Norgart
01-05-2012, 7:22 AM
Thanks for the info and input. John, thanks for the string, helpful!!!

Bob Bergstrom
01-05-2012, 8:39 AM
http://sites.google.com/site/mustardmonster/Try here. Mustard monster site.

Thom Sturgill
01-05-2012, 9:10 AM
I have seen one made by our club president - he used a truck brake drum and a had a pipe welded to the center. The top was fabricated out of angle iron to give him short 'ways' to mount the banjo on. The brake drum provided a wide, heavy base but allows him to tilt it and roll it out of the way when not in use.

David Dobbs
01-05-2012, 9:41 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?79757-new-LARGE-bowl

Bill Wyko
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
David, that's pretty cool and inexpensive to build. Thanks for finding the link.