PDA

View Full Version : Driver for laser machine, LMI SE 225 CV

Jens Garry
01-04-2012, 3:09 AM
Hello @ll,

I would first like to apologize in advance for the Google English.
I hope for you, but it is fairly readable and you can help me.

A neighbor of mine has the laser machine, LMI SE 225 CV,
recently purchased as needed. Unfortunately, no floppy or CD to
from which one could load the drivers / install. Through the device manufacturer's website
Unfortunately, it does not come close to the driver. I was just full of joy when I read here in the forum,
someone has to get the drivers from Preco, but I can find nothing on the website Preco.

Where you can download for this driver for Windows 98 or higher (Windows 2000)?
An interesting question is also time for me:
Why do the manufacturers of laser equipment on their websites or any drivers I may have overlooked something?

I thank you very much in advance for your help and all the best for
new year. :)

Greetings from Germany.

Jeff Belany
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I ran a LMI laser for 10 years, a SE2100. Preco bought out LMI but continued to support the small lasers even though they quit making them. I used WIN 95 drivers until 2008. WIN 98 drivers were available but I was told that if the WIN 95 ones worked, use them. I was told that there were no newer drivers and that they had no plans to write them. I was also told not to run on any computer with an OS newer than WIN98. Also, they recommended Corel 8, not any newer versions.

The Preco website is precoincDOTcom I dealt with the Wisconsin branch as this was where the LMI was manufactured. You could contact them and talk to the service dept and see if they would email you the driver. Please understand, I have not had any contact with them since 1998. But, back then, they was always very helpful.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Richard Rumancik
01-04-2012, 6:07 PM
Do a search on this formum for "SE225". You will find a thread and also see a link to another thread. Seems like members Tim Jasper, Lyle Peterson, or Bruce Voldon may be able to help. Look at the thread and maybe send one of them a PM.

As to what I think you are asking: why don't laser manufacturers post the drivers on the website? I don't have a good answer for that. Computer manufacturers always make new drivers and BIOS updates available to use freely, at your own risk. When I first got my GCC laser it seemed that GCC was "protective" of the drivers/firmware and did not distribute them freely. Eventually some dealers made them more freely available. But the message from GCC I was getting is that if I had a specific problem, they would see if there was a driver or firmware update that would solve it. Also, they would not actually give me a list of bug-fixes for a new release.

They would not give me a new driver or firmware update unnecessarily. I got the impression it was a case of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." Perhaps it was a lack of confidence that the new driver did not cause a new problem.

As lasers users are much smaller in numbers than computer users, perhaps they did it so they could more clearly identify what actual problems the users were seeing, and deal with the problems one-on-one until they felt that the release was debugged. So I think I was really beta-testing the drivers I was given. So that is probably why they were reluctant to post them on the website. Other manufacturers may have a similar policy.

Rodne Gold
01-04-2012, 8:39 PM
GCC rushed a few of their upgrades to users and often later firmware/software had bugs , users were sort of beta testers (not by GCC's intention - they thought they had debugged) and often one version cured something but made another something sick.

Bruce Volden
01-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Jens,

Pretty much what Jeff said. I have the WIN 98 drivers on floppy. I did have a guy in the UK write me some script so I could run with XP but got tired of jumping through all the hoops to get it to the machine (laser), so I just dedicated and WIN 98 computer for the 2 LMI's I have. I am however utilizing Corel 10.

Bruce

Jens Garry
01-05-2012, 3:47 AM
Hello @ll

first many thanks to you all for your wonderful help.
Tim has already sent me a PM. Also here again: Many thanks to Tim.
I would not know what to do without you. :)

It was a difficult thing last night. The old hard drive into the PC that it was wanted, not about to start croak. What was on Windows, Win95, or could have been 98. We thought, let's back up data to another hard disk to see first what would happen on it. On the better disk I uploaded XP Home, then I mounted the old hard drive as a slave drive with ca.500Mbyte, unfortunately, it probably came from the old hard disk to crash XP. Old hard drive is unmounted, XP will start again without problems.

I had then used the safe mode, to which it thankfully but then folded.
We have secured the property and are considered some of the folder. In 2 folders I found a driver file called "Engraver".
Once in a folder and once under DIR system. Unfortunately, this brings us nothing.
I do not think that just a driver file is present, especially since the drivers must be installed correctly integrated in the system /.

Perhaps a more interesting question. The device is connected to LPT1. We had it hanging over USB even turn. Windows will normally,
The new hardware has been sighted. By then, if the machine was switched on. Here, however, is never the case.
At least not under Win2000 and not under XP. Is this normal for such devices?
The only quasi-one recognition or whatever takes place when the device drivers are installed.
I thought it would perhaps something like, seem unknown device.

I thank you again for your support, explanations and answers.

edit:
Windows 98, we also have available original here. That would be no problem with the drivers. Thanks to Bruce. :)

Jens Garry
01-07-2012, 9:25 AM
Hello,

Last night, we have (thanks to Tim's driver, which he sent to me)
get a first positive result. We got the Laser Graver and running (Windows 98).

While there are still some things we still need to figure out, but we have good confidence. So once again thanks for your help. I will probably soon be often times here and maybe have some questions when we clearly do not come with anything.

Thank you all for a nice weekend and best regards
from Germany.

Jens

cody murray
12-29-2015, 2:08 PM
Jens,

Pretty much what Jeff said. I have the WIN 98 drivers on floppy. I did have a guy in the UK write me some script so I could run with XP but got tired of jumping through all the hoops to get it to the machine (laser), so I just dedicated and WIN 98 computer for the 2 LMI's I have. I am however utilizing Corel 10.

Bruce

Bruce, I just received one of these machines and am in the same boat it seems as many others have been. I know this post is a a few years old, but is there any chance that you still have the drivers for this machine or any manuals and such for it? It would be greatly appreciated!

Bruce Volden
12-31-2015, 9:49 AM
Cody,

I do still have the drivers, just have to do some digging. I will look this week end after New Years.
Where are you located?

Bruce

cody murray
12-31-2015, 7:55 PM
Cody,

I do still have the drivers, just have to do some digging. I will look this week end after New Years.
Where are you located?

Bruce

I live near Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. I really appreciate you taking the time to look. This machine will just collect more dust without them haha. Thanks and have a Happy New year!

Bruce Volden
01-01-2016, 10:32 AM
I forgot to ask which type of port your machine utilizes.
I had 2 of the machines, one had a serial port the other had parallel.

Bruce

cody murray
01-01-2016, 5:08 PM
I forgot to ask which type of port your machine utilizes.
I had 2 of the machines, one had a serial port the other had parallel.

Bruce

This machine uses the two serial ports and has a plate covering where the parallel port would be. I believe this machine is the raster version if that makes any difference, so I dont think it will vector cut.

I can shoot you a message on here and give you my email if that makes things easier. Thanks Bruce

Cody