PDA

View Full Version : 1st explosion of 2012

Curt Fuller
01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
I got some wormy Ash logs from the great windstorm of 12/11 so decided to take a piece and turn a hollowform from start to finish from some of the green wood. For me, Ash can be some of the hardest wood to turn. I guess that's why they make Louisville Sluggers from it. Anyway, it was working pretty well and then I changed cutters and forgot to tighten the allen screw, it went skiwompas, and the excitement was over before I could turn off the lathe. What was a nice 1 1/4" opening ended up as a 3 incher and some of the prettiest worm work was scattered around the shop. But I decided to finish it anyway just because I liked the contrast in the wood and worm holes and the grain pattern of the Ash. It's about 7" x 7" and finished with Antique oil.

Eric Gourieux
01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Curt, that wood has a beautiful grain. I hope the rest of the log is as nice and that you have better luck with it. For a blow up, it looks pretty good. Nice save!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Curt,

I am glad you took time to finish that one. I like it.

I'll bet it sounded like a helicopter while you were turning it.

Baxter Smith
01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Looks good to me as is. Neat save Curt!

Scott Hackler
01-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Still looks pretty good to me!

Dick Wilson
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Ya know Curt, if you had kept your mouth shut no one would have known. Nice job. Great looking turning

Hayes Rutherford
01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Nothing wrong with that one, you just had to use plan"b". I like the detail around the opening.

Mark Hubl
01-04-2012, 1:54 AM
Looks good Curt. No harm no foul, glad things did not get ugly.

Dan Forman
01-04-2012, 3:05 AM
Sometimes the mind is not the boss, and things can go south in a hurry. Glad there was enough there to finish, a lot going on in that piece.

Dan

John Keeton
01-04-2012, 6:48 AM
...and then I changed cutters and forgot to tighten the allen screw...Curt, I have had that happen twice, both times with disastrous results! Cut through the side of a vase the first time, and the second time was when Ed Morgano was here, and I successfully cut a burl form in two pieces from the inside.

Personally speaking, I think your incident here was fortuitous - the result is very pleasing, and perhaps even more so that it would have otherwise been. I think the larger opening works very well, particularly with the void. You may have lost a good bit of the prettier wood, but all in all, it turned out great. The form is excellent, and the wood is spectacular! I have some wormy ash in my firewood stack, but it doesn't have the dark staining. I thought about turning some of it, but it is pretty bland.

Allan Ferguson
01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
A small thing can bring big results. So easy to forget the "little" things. Lucky there are no injuries.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Curt that is a great looking piece and a nice save.

Jamie Donaldson
01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Curt- if this were my piece I would add a butterfly or 2 across the large crack area and "enhance" the value of your "design opportunity!"! I like this piece!

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-04-2012, 1:07 PM
As I say at work, when things 'go south' "At least there's no blood, and we didn't kill anyone"... Quite glad you managed to save it - my last explosion only fell off the lathe - spindle work, and removed too much from the tailstock end - cracked across the grain... No pain, only embarrassment!

Bill Wyko
01-04-2012, 1:08 PM
When you get lemons, make lemonaide. Just glad you weren't hurt. All in all, it still turned out very nice. On my quad I have a sticker on the tank that says "Turn the gas on Dummy" Yours will have to say "Tighten the allen head Curt" Nice save my friend. What kind of tool was it anyway.

David E Keller
01-04-2012, 1:41 PM
I've also managed to blow up a nice piece of spalted maple recently, but I did it in 2011... So far 2012 is error free, but it's early! Glad you're OK!

Ed Morgano
01-04-2012, 1:59 PM
Nice save Curt. And, as long as you cut it from the inside, it's John Keeton approved! :confused:

Jim Burr
01-04-2012, 2:03 PM
I exploded some olive last week that reminded me why I wear a face shield!

Bill Wyko
01-04-2012, 2:55 PM
I'm with you Jim, no safety glasses, face shields only.

Curt Fuller
01-04-2012, 9:07 PM
Thanks, it's always good to get a little positive reinforcement even when you screw up.

Curt- if this were my piece I would add a butterfly or 2 across the large crack area and "enhance" the value of your "design opportunity!"! I like this piece!
:D:D:D Jamie, I read your comment several times and kept picturing something like a pyro'd or painted butterfly before it dawned on me that you were talking about a butterfly type patch. That would be a good idea.

Tim Rinehart
01-04-2012, 9:43 PM
Curt, I'd say you salvaged that quite well. I've not turned ash, but will have to try...and be careful I expect!

Michelle Rich
01-05-2012, 6:04 AM
I hope it's the last of 2012..glad you were not hurt. I look at it and see broken pottery at a dig...