PDA

View Full Version : Above the table router adjustments

Duane Bledsoe
01-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I have a Craftsman 17543 router (for those who might want to look it up). It has 2 bases, and since I've noticed that other kits with 2 bases have a way to adjust the bit depth from above using a long hex key I thought I'd look at the fixed base of mine to see if it could be made to do this too. Well, happily, it has a hex opening in the bottom side of the adjustment screw, so with it on a table if there was a hole lined up with it I could do above the table adjustments too.

But I'd still have to reach below the table and release the tension on the clamp that holds the base to the motor. This is not a big deal, that would be much easier to flip it open and then adjust from above as opposed to cranking the knob to raise it from below the table. However, I notice that when I adjust it by using the knob, even when off of a table, it seems very hard to do so at times. It's like the weight of the motor has the screw in a bind or something so I usually just end up sliding it by hand and then fine tuning it the last few clicks. I can't imagine a hex key being able to raise or lower the bit all on it's own without help from me lifting the weight of the motor to let the screw turn. Anyone know if it will or not, or if I can improve the way it works by maybe lubricating it somehow??

Bryan Cramer
01-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I had the same router. It was OK (barely) for hand held work, but the fixed base sucked in the table because of the same problem. I tried to lubricate it with WD-40, but no difference. I do not have a picture (this was before my digital camera), but I cut a piece of plywood to engage the corase adjustment permantly overriding the fine adjustment. I fastened it to the router some way (I don't remember). I then took a piece of thread stock about 16" long and used a threaded collar,glued over a hole the plywood base below the router table, as a pusher to push the router motor and bit up and down. At one end I put a double nut which contacts the motor top. I also attached a plywood disc in the middle of the rod to turn it up and down. I still used the base lock to hold the adjustment. This worked until the motor gave out. I recomend geting a different router for your table like the Porter Cable 2 1/4 hp. It has above the table adjustment. Keep the Crafsman set for hand held work.