PDA

View Full Version : Containing the grit from a grinder . . .

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
I received a grinder (this one (http://www.lowes.com/pd_78808-46069-PCB525BG_4294857497_4294937087_?productId=3162491&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sale s_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Grinders%2BPolishers_4294857497_4 294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C %7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=)) for christmas. While it's no Baldor, it's quite the step up from the grinder I had been driving to my father's house to use. I had been keeping an eye out for a decent used/vintage model, but everything I came across was a total junker. I've had good luck with the grey wheels it comes with, although sooner or later I'll get a cooler grinding wheel for it, as even though I've got a pretty good touch with it, it's still a little touchy for me grinding a narrow chisel on grey wheels. A nicer tool rest is on the list for someday, but the rests on these are getting the job done - I freehand grind, so I don't need anything to fancy.

Anyway, as nice as it is to have a grinder readily available, the issue I've got now is I don't have a good place to set it up permanently, so I'm setting it up on the workbench when I need it, and even the best I do is going to be set up in the corner of the "shop", which is really just our extra room. The grit and and metal from the grinder makes a mess on my bench top - the worst of it, of course, when I dress the wheels. I vacuum it up when I'm done, and I figure I could run the vac when I dress the wheel if I want to be tidy.

I know some grit is going to get tossed into the air regardless. But since I'll probably mount the grinder to a board anyway, I've been wondering if putting some sort of box around the grinder, with a small lip in front would help contain the grit. I figure before I try and mock something up or have a go at it, I'd see if anyone else had done something similar and had decent luck. . .

Bill Haumann
01-04-2012, 12:00 AM
I put a rare earth magnet on the table surface underneath the wheel, it catches a lot of the metal debris.

James Taglienti
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Just dont run the vacuum while you grind, you might suck up a spark and start a fire... I did that in the cloth bag of my belt sander while sanding something that had a nail in it... I wish i had a video

I have a small box behind my grinder to catch grit and crud,it does an alright job, most just bounces out...

jamie shard
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Ooh, now you've scared me. What's the right way to set up a vacuum on a grinder?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Oh, thanks for bringing that up, James. Had I stopped and thought about it for a minute, I would have realized - bad idea. I was really only thinking about running it while dressing the wheel, but really, safety first seems like a better idea.

Chris Griggs
01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Well I can't answer that question, but I just sweep up the grit with a little broom when I'm done, and periodically vacuum the area. I would like to find a better way to contain the grit so I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

I have that exact same grinder BTW. Really great product for the price! The rests, of course, aren't great, but they're good enough that I haven't bothered to build or buy a proper tool rest yet.

David Weaver
01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Hard to complain about the features on that grinder for the price. Two piece rests to start with, even - that's pretty good.

They look like the rests the ryobi grinders (which were single speed) used to have on them. They had detents, so you were a little bit limited with how fine you could be with adjustments, but they worked OK. I removed the detents eventually, but never bothered to replace the rests - they worked fine despite being aluminum or whatever light metal castings they are.

I face my grinder into a corner so that all of the mess is basically in one spot (it has ports on the back for a vacuum hookup), and clean up only a little bit from time to time. The magnet idea is interesting.

Jeff Wittrock
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I use a magnet to try and catch some of the metal. I also put the grinder on top of a piece of melamine. I'm usually using some water when I grind, so the puddle of water on the melamine creates a slurry that traps a lot of the particles as well. Later I just scrape away the slurry when I'm done. Not really much of a solution, but the slurry does seem to catch the majority of stuff coming off the wheel.

Chris Griggs
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I removed the detents eventually, but never bothered to replace the rests - they worked fine despite being aluminum or whatever light metal castings they are.

That's my only gripe with the rests and actually the whole grinder. Every other aspect of it is suprisingly good - speed control is nice when you need it, although for the most part I keep it at high speed. Runs very smoothly as well, although I may have just gotten lucky and gotten wheels on mine that were reasonbly well balanced.

Sometimes the detents stop me from matching the existing angle on a blade. I would rather the rests rotated continuously, which is actually the only reason why I want to replace them. If I can remove the dentents I don't think I would feel any need to get a better rest. How did you remove them? Just file them off?

(sorry for the slight detour/highjack Josh)

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Ooh, now you've scared me. What's the right way to set up a vacuum on a grinder?

Harkening back to my misspent youth, I wonder if you could build something like a bong and use it like a chip separator. The liquid should quench and sparks...

Chris Griggs
01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Harkening back to my misspent youth, I wonder if you could build something like a bong and use it like a chip separator. The liquid should quench and sparks...

LOL! Best post of the new year!!!!

David Weaver
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Or for those with tight underwear, just get an old used Rainbow brand vacuum.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Yeah, the detents on the tool rests are a little annoying - I usually set things close and then play with the fore/aft adjustment (for lack of a better word) to get things right where I want them. I wish the rests weren't quite so finicky, as I find it nicer to put the rest at 90 degrees to dress the wheel. The rests are certainly nicer than the bent piece of flat steel my fathers grinder had.

Jim Neeley
01-04-2012, 7:55 PM
Or for those with tight underwear, just get an old used Rainbow brand vacuum.

Didn't somebody offer a bong conversion kit for the Rainbow, or was it the other way around? <g>

James Taglienti
01-04-2012, 9:34 PM
I bet if you used a shop vac that was completely empty it would be safer, but the filter might catch... The belt sander i was using lit up because the bag was full of dust already... The bong idea sounds good im sure the setup has a more straight laced name but its funnier this way!

jamie shard
01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I've been wondering about maybe adding a vortex/cyclone type intermediate chamber to my shop vac. I'm thinking that even with a empty container there is a small chance that the metal grit might get hot enough to start on fire too!

(I don't grind much, but I have a dedicated shop vac from a garage sale that I use just for the metal/dust grit.)

Jack Curtis
01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd think about trying to add a small plastic container at the base of the wheel to hold water, a la Tormek. Granted, you'd have to wear a slicker, but dust would definitely be in short supply.

Tom Vanzant
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Jamie,
Put an inch or so of water in the vortex/cyclone chamber. That's how the Rainbow vacuum works, and for the more senior, remember oil-bath air cleaners? If you have to ask, never mind.