PDA

View Full Version : Presents for the Wife!

Lee Koepke
01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
I am "blessed" by having a woman choose me that has a birthday on Dec 31st, so its hard sometimes to do gifts for such a short duration. One of the gifts I gave her was this small candle stand, I had found the tulip glass votive holder for $.50 at some thrift store, and had to try something new, its a nice little piece of walnut, about 4" tall.

And for her birthday, I made this quarter-sawn red oak w/walnut accent top for a "kitchen island" she found at a consignment shop in town. I will admit to buying the spindles, as my lathe isnt large enough (yet) to turn 34" stock, so I had to cheat. (I made sure that one of my cherry bowls and the candle holder was on the island so as not to violate the posting of flatwork in a round world :D )

The sad news is, I had almost 10 days off work, and never even turned on my lathe :eek::eek::eek:.

Thanks for looking and being an inspiration for me!

Baxter Smith
01-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Nice work on all Lee. Glad you gave your lathe some time off from work too.;):)

John Keeton
01-04-2012, 6:32 AM
Nice work on the candle stand, Lee. Walnut was a great choice. My daughter's birthday is Dec. 27, and folks with birthday's in late December usually don't get a fair shake!!

While you did nice work on the island, I am not going to let you off easy - your lathe will work fine for doing table legs - you just have to do them in sections and glue them together! It will work fine - no cop outs permitted!!!:D Of course, a bigger lathe would work better!:rolleyes:

Russell Eaton
01-04-2012, 6:43 AM
Nice job Lee. Now time to serious about turning.

Michelle Rich
01-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Don't not turn legs because of your lathe. Make them in 2 pieces. You can easily hide the join. Very cool projects & your wife is blessed too!

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
That is nice Lee. Now its time to turn.:D

Lee Koepke
01-04-2012, 1:18 PM
ok .... you guys caught me! I was running out of time and was afraid I'd mess up the legs and never get finished! I appreciate the comments and look forward to getting back on the machine this weekend! I spent alot of my time cleaning up my shop, finishing 4 'half-finished' projects, and re-organizing a bit.

It was quite nice to work at my leisure!!!!

David E Keller
01-04-2012, 1:46 PM
Nicely done on both counts! I probably would have purchased the legs, too... Production spindle turning doesn't sound like fun to me

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Nice work on both presents! Sometimes it is good to take a break. Helps keep things from becoming routine!