PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw repair help

Donny Lawson
01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Here is one of my current bandsaws that was in a fire and melted the cover off of it. I need some advise on how to make a cover for it. It works great and I have it cleanned up and ready to go all but a cover of some kind. If it were square around the edges I could use wood and build a wooden frame but its not. Since this is an older machine there are no parts for it. It doesn't have to look pretty but it needs to be safe to run. Here is another picture of what its suppose to look like with the cover installed.http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Craftsman-12-Bandsaw-Model-No-113-243310-/00/$(KGrHqUOKowE35J9RPR!BOBdnBSLkw~~0_3.JPG

Van Huskey
01-03-2012, 11:04 PM
12" Craftsman BS seem to be all over Craigslist, you may find one in poor or non-working condition you could buy and scavange the door off of. The solution may be much quicker and maybe nearly as cheap as building a door.

Mike Cruz
01-03-2012, 11:31 PM
+1 on what Van said. I see these on CL every day.

John McClanahan
01-04-2012, 8:10 AM
In my area, they are listed for $100-$150 all the time.

Bruce Volden
01-04-2012, 9:55 AM
I would buy a sheet of clear acrylic and play with it!!! BUT-----you will have static cling and need to apply an anti-static spray on occasion. Could be a fun afternoon project, the acrylic will easily bend to shape when heated. Pre-drill all hinge mounts and use a rare earth magnet for closure.

Bruce

Van Huskey
01-04-2012, 1:43 PM
In my area, they are listed for $100-$150 all the time.

I do see quite a few overpriced but there is usually one a week in the CLs I check that is missing parts, worn out or doesn't work listed for cheap. CL is a regional thing when it comes to price and availability though.

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 1:50 PM
You could tear it down for parts and build a bandsaw using the pieces. I've seen several. Gillom (spelling?) had kits and I think the guy on woodgears has documented a build. You might be able to create a dedicated resaw machine...

Myk Rian
01-04-2012, 2:26 PM
If I were building a cover for a BS, I would need access to it.
There is no way to tell you how to do it, without having the thing in my shop.

Buy a replacement cover, or a used saw.

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 2:47 PM
If spare parts for this thing are typical of other sears parts, the cover would be more than a new saw! Of course, I'm going off what someone else posted, not sure the OP ever identified it as a Craftsman...

Myk Rian
01-04-2012, 2:56 PM
not sure the OP ever identified it as a Craftsman...
Did you look at the picture that was posted?

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 3:00 PM
I saw the two pics in the OP and it sure is shaped like a Craftsman 12" bandsaw, but I didn't see Craftsman in blazing neon letters anywhere <g>.

Did you look at the picture that was posted?

Myk Rian
01-04-2012, 3:10 PM
It's the largest picture in the post.

Jerome Hanby
01-04-2012, 4:07 PM
That picture must be hosted someplace other than SMC. I see the two pics with the cover off, but never saw this one until you posted it... Looking at the page spource, looks like it may be hosted on eBay.

It's the largest picture in the post.

Bob Deroeck
01-04-2012, 7:50 PM
If you have fiberglassing skills consider making one out of fiberglass. If the original cover is only partially damaged, use it to make the mold. First repair the original cover using Bondo to "fix" the damaged parts of the original cover. Then make a mold out of fiberglass from the original cover. Then make a new fiberglass cover from the mold.

If the original cover is too far gone to use as a mold, then fashion a new mold out of wood and Bondo.

Whichever of the two options used above, then apply a mold release spray (PVC) to the mold, then make the new cover out of fiberglass.

Note, buying the used bandsaw off of CL will take make less labor. Only go the fiberglass route if you want the challenge of fashioning a replacement part from the elements. Depending on the shape of the original cover, you're probably looking at 4-8 hours effort over a few days to make a fiberglass cover.

Bob

Fred Belknap
01-04-2012, 11:58 PM
I see the picture list the BS as a BS/sander. How does that work. I'm thinking a long narrow sanding belt.

Van Huskey
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
I see the picture list the BS as a BS/sander. How does that work. I'm thinking a long narrow sanding belt.

Yep, I have seen the belts made for 14" saws as well.