PDA

View Full Version : Endgrain chopping block cart

Tom Hammond
01-03-2012, 8:28 PM
Just finished my first endgrain chopping block cart. The cart is red oak, and the top is approximately 22" square, maple endgrain with walnut strips. I also made a maple and walnut cutting board that slides in under the chopping block (above the drawer).

Got this one done for about $140 in materials. I use sliding dovetails for the aprons and legs jointery, poplar for the drawer secondary material, screwed down the shelf boards and covered with oak plugs. Any suggestions for improving the design? I was thinking about a towel hanger on the side. What would you think for a retail price if I were to make these on a regular basis?

Thanks for any input!

One other question I have on chopping blocks... if this is used for a while and shows wear, can it be resanded? I've oiled it several times, so I'd be concerned about running it through a sander in that the oil would get on the sanding belt.

Todd Burch
01-03-2012, 10:48 PM
The top looks short for being endgrain. How did you join the pieces of the top?

It looks like you spent a lot of time arranging the colors of the wood - its look real nice.

I would leave off the wheels.

Todd

Tom Hammond
01-06-2012, 1:10 PM
The thickness is 1.5", probably a little light on that. I edge-glued maple 1x2s into a panel and had it sanded. Then I took the panel and crosscut it into 1.5"+ strips. Then I reversed every other strip and glued them up to make the maple end grain sections, with the walnut strips evenly distributed. Then, I cut it to size and had it sanded again.

The color variations turned out to be seemingly orderly, but in reality the colors were totally accidental.

Floyd Cox
01-14-2012, 7:42 AM
The top is absolutely beautiful ...nice job