PDA

View Full Version : sanding/finishing question regarding Color Bleeding

Brian Brown
01-03-2012, 4:59 PM
I have seen this topic discussed before, so I did a search. I got 15 pages of results, and still didn't find an answer that will help. I am nearing completion of a HF with Box Elder burl, and blood wood. This is a tough combination, because the blood wood is so susceptible to bleeding color into the BEB. I might be able to avoid the dust in the pores problem while sanding. I have been lucky in the past, but would appreciate any thoughts here, as luck seems to have moved to another state lately. The biggest problem I am worried about is how do I keep the finish solvent from causing the bloodwood color to bleed? In the past, any finish I have used on this wood combo causes bleeding. Most areas I can finish separately, as they have not been glued together yet (finial), but where the collar connects to the base, has been glued, and creates a very visible and large area for the bleeding to show. What are your techniques? Please be specific. I know the best technique is to not use these two woods together, but they just look so darn good together.

Jamie Donaldson
01-03-2012, 7:23 PM
Brian- I seal the whole piece with a coat of sanding sealer, made from lacquer with about 10% acetone to aid penetration. Padauk, Bloodwood, and other high colored wood dust gets in the open grain of adjoining woods, but if the grain is sealed the problem is greatly reduced.

Ryan Baker
01-03-2012, 8:06 PM
I agree. Give it a coat or two of sanding sealer before you sand it -- that should avoid tracking colored dust into the lighter wood. After that, more sanding sealer, or another sealer coat like shellac, should help prevent color bleeding into the finish coat. I have had color bleeding into lacquer without the sealer, but if you seal first and start lightly with the lacquer, you should be OK.

Michelle Rich
01-04-2012, 7:09 AM
Although, too late in this case, segmenters avoid woods that bleed, if they can help it. or they put dark colored wood next to bleeders. When I must use bloodwood, I do seal all the wood around it then work carefully & resealing as many times as I must. I try very hard to not have to sand much & use VERY sharp tools. (one can use a furniture scraper & get a real nice surface)