PDA

View Full Version : Turbine HVLP My experience

Phil Phelps
04-24-2003, 7:57 PM
I had a chance, the other day, to use a turbine HVLP. I have a conversion HVLP that works off a compressor. The turbine is the power for the Accuspray I used. My first surprise was the easy changing of the tip. This allows you to spray thin or heavy material. Reducing the paint is the same as any other gun. Testing and fine tuning the spray pattern is also easy. I had to get use to air constantly running through the tip. Let's not even get into the noise the turbine makes. Not a problem. I've been around enough machinery all my life, the noise isn't a factor to me. I sprayed an alkyd primer first. Very impressive. The pattern was about six inches and very fine. Layed down quite smoothly. Not a lot of force from the gun. You can also adjust the pattern low enough to air brush. This is a good machine. Clean up is also easy. Costs about $700 or so, but will do all of your lacquers, shellacs, and alkyd products. Don't expect these guns to spray latex like an airless. I tried it and, my conversion gun did a better job, but I don't recommend using either for latex. A small project, maybe, but certainly not your house.
My buddy found one at a pawn shop for $200. Works like a jewel. ( I hate guys like this) Please note that you will still have overspray with any HVLP. About seventy percent less than with conventional guns. I'd consider a spray booth of some nature.
Well, that's my observation. Any of you that would like to add pros or cons, please do. I't s the only way to learn.

John Miliunas
04-24-2003, 8:21 PM
....you didn't mention the flavor of the rig, as there are a number of them out there. Also, now that you've used both, the turbine and the conversion, would you prefer to go with one over the other or, is it pretty much a toss-up? :cool:

Phil Phelps
04-24-2003, 9:17 PM
Originally posted by John Miliunas
....you didn't mention the flavor of the rig, as there are a number of them out there. Also, now that you've used both, the turbine and the conversion, would you prefer to go with one over the other or, is it pretty much a toss-up? :cool:
AccuSpray. Other manufactures, for sure. If I had a compressor, I'd look for a conversion gun. Just talkin' money here. If I could afford to spend the money on this AccuSpray, I'd have no reservations. The AccuSpray is a better gun than my knockoff HVLP.