PDA

View Full Version : Ball Bearing Drawer Slides

"Jacob Robinson"
01-03-2012, 2:07 PM
It has been a good while since I have posted on here and I can say it feels good to get caught up on some of the great information on this forum.

To my real question:

Short Version: Where do you buy you Ball Bearing Drawer Slides.

Long version: I worked at a custom cabinet shopfor about 4 years while I was in college, and I would always buy all of the hardware for my weekend projects at the wholesale distributor where the company bought their stuff. Since leaving I have had several instances where I needed some hardware most commonly drawer slides and I cannot find anywhere remotely close to the the price I was paying before. I know that is the reason for wholesale, but in many other areas the wholesale price and retail prices are not very different. But in this case Rockler and Woodcraft are WAY out of the ballpark here. I always used KV 8400 and 8405 when I worked and even some import brand called DSI I think, (in my experience just as good as the KV's). Maybe the price has just gone up that much since I left, but that has only been about a year ago. Specifically I am looking for 10-15 sets of 16" full extension slides, the cheapest I see them is about $12, I used to pay less than half that if I bought in a case of 10 sets. Is this the going rate or am I missing a a good vendor somewhere?

Thanks for your input,
Jake

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2012, 2:48 PM
I bought 22" slides from a vendor on the bay (at the suggestion of a fellow 'creeker'). I got 15 pairs for less than $103 shipping included. The shipping was killing any savings from anywhere else I found a good price. That works out to less than $7.00 a pair. I would think 16" would be even less.

FWIW, the slides I received were full extension, 100 lb slides and are very heavy duty. Only drawback was that no screws were provided...but based on the quality of the screws that usually come with slides maybe that's not such a bad thing. Rocker has some great screws specifically for drawer slides that work great!

glenn bradley
01-03-2012, 3:08 PM
Woodworker,s Hardware for KV glides and I agree; places like Rockler and Woodcraft carry glides as a convenience item and like their wood offerings, are priced accordingly. In an emergency it is nice to have somewhere to pick up a short piece of purpleheart or a set of glides but, you pay for that convenience.

scott vroom
01-03-2012, 3:37 PM
I buy mine wholesale through a local cabinet shop. I walked in, introduced myself and asked if they would mind selling me some hinges and slides....to which they agreed. Their willing to do this, I think, because of the price/volume leverage it gives them with their supplier. I pay $20/pr for 21" Blum Tandem undermount slides and quick release clips..five or six dollars less than the cheapest price I could find on the web, and no minimum qty or shipping. Worth a shot.

Bob Elliott
01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I buy slides and hinges from Custom Service Hardware. You can Google the name to find them. Nice people and decent prices.

Larry Fox
01-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Cabinet Parts dot COM. Great supplier

Peter Stahl
01-08-2012, 10:04 PM
wwhardware has 16" anochrome for $8.69 if you get 10. Never used them so I don't know how these slides are.

Ron Michael
09-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum, fairly new to detail woodworking and I have a basic question using these ball bearing slides.

If I have a drawer let say 20" long, do I have to use a 20" slide or can I use a shorter slide if I don't mind that the drawer wouldn't fully open?

glenn bradley
09-07-2013, 1:02 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum, fairly new to detail woodworking and I have a basic question using these ball bearing slides.

If I have a drawer let say 20" long, do I have to use a 20" slide or can I use a shorter slide if I don't mind that the drawer wouldn't fully open?

Hi Ron. PM sent.

Michael Kellough
09-07-2013, 4:48 PM
I buy slides and hinges from Custom Service Hardware. You can Google the name to find them. Nice people and decent prices.

Me too. Pretty much the same prices as A&H Turf with better packing and order handling in general.

Ken Krawford
09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm also a big fan of CSH. Occasionally they have a 10% off sale and free shipping.