PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR XP wireless remote installation complete

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I received the wireless remote and the retrofit kit today.

Installation went, ALMOST smoothly, but there are a few things that I wish I knew before I started the process

The wireless interface board is not packaged with the retrofit kit, it's packaged with the wireless remote and is easily overlooked, so don't throw out the packaging until you're sure you have removed all of the parts
The retrofit procedure does not mention that you have to "pair" it with the wireless remote.
Although it looks like the wireless remote is clipped into the wristbands and snaps out for removal, that's not the case. The wristbands simply detatch from the plastic (as in any wristwatch) by pressing down on the metal studs/posts.

I'll post some photos of the parts and installation shortly.

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2012, 1:26 PM
Here are some photo of the pieces

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2012, 1:27 PM
and some photos of the installation

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2012, 2:12 PM
Of course, after I finished the installation, I found that Nova posted some installation videos on their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/NOVA-Woodworking/91583652118)
video part 1 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150453477818889)
video part 2 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150453623588889)

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2012, 6:19 PM
Alan I have looked and thought about it for a while now. Let us know how it performs for you. Definitely looks easy enough by the video's.

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2012, 6:25 PM
Bernie,

I don't think there will be much to tell.

You press the center button for two seconds and the lathe starts to turn. A single quick touch stops the lathe.

The speed up and down buttons work as expected.

Though the current setup is pretty nice, I may reposition the two magnets (or add to them) to get a little more grab when mounted on the ways. I love adding magnets to all kinds of things, so it's probably just me. If I do this, I'll make some photos of the mods.

So it's a simple device that does what it should... can't ask for much more than that.

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2012, 6:30 PM
Thanks Alan. I commented before I watched the video's and it does look slick and easy enough to install. Guess I am going to have to break down and get one. Like I said been watching and thinking about it for a while now.

Josh Bowman
01-03-2012, 6:33 PM
That's pretty slick! Wish they made it in mustard yellow:)

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2012, 7:03 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm a fan of any lathe that actively reminds you to wear a face shield.
(it displays that reminder during its boot sequence during power-up)

Steve Vaughan
01-03-2012, 7:41 PM
Might consider this purchase too. Thanks for the info!

Alan Trout
01-03-2012, 8:23 PM
I plan on getting one. This time of year I am always tight on cash. maybe in the next week to month. But Thanks for the update.

Alan

Eric Gourieux
01-03-2012, 9:16 PM
Alan Z, did you order it from the Nova website?

Alan Zenreich
01-03-2012, 9:21 PM
Eric,

Yes I ordered directly from Teknatool... they were the only ones who had it in stock

Eric Gourieux
01-03-2012, 9:35 PM
Thanks, Alan. I, too, have a DVR and would love the remote.

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2012, 9:37 PM
Thanks for the info Alan. The minister of finance told me it may have to wait a little longer.

Bill Bolen
01-03-2012, 9:45 PM
Guess I'm lucky, I watched the vid's before I ordered. Arrived today and will go on tomorrow. Looking forward to not reaching around the steady rest to turn the lathe off.

Alan Zenreich
01-04-2012, 2:23 PM
Ok, I admit it, I tweak almost every tool I receive.
Things ALMOST do what I want <s>

I like the remote, but I felt the way the internal magnets are implemented could stand a little tweaking.
There are two rare earth magnets (metric sizes I'm guessing) that sit loosely in little cutouts under the circuit board.
When you remove the circuit board to change batteries, the magnets jump out of place and cling to each other. It's a bit of a pain to reinstall the circuit board unless you first figure out that you should place the unit on some iron so that the magnets are held in place.
Because of the magnets used and the thickness of the plastic, there was less magnetic grip than I would prefer. It's ok, and doesn't fall off of the lathe when mounted vertically, but it can move around a little too easily.
So I decided to replace the two OEM magnets with four 1/2"x1/8" N42 rated rare earth magnets (I use these little gems for lots of things around the shop and buy them 20 or 40 at a time from an ebay seller)

Here are a few photos of this simple modification. I'm very pleased with the results. The magnets are now glued in, have about twice the holding power than the OEM configuration, yet is still readily movable (but not accidentally movable).

Bill Bolen
01-04-2012, 5:16 PM
Great tip and tutorial Alan. I had the same feeling about the magnets being under powered and will follow your excellent example. Remote works just fine and the stronger magnets will make it more secure in my mind.

Alan Zenreich
01-06-2012, 12:26 PM
So Bill, did you start drilling holes in your transmitter yet?

I was mentioning to Lauren (my bride) that I think it's amusing how I don't hesitate to drill/cut/glue pretty much anything if it will "tweak" it.

Granted, there are some warranties that I'm hesitant to mess with, but with almost any tool (or most any purchase for that matter), my first thought is "how can I improve it for my particular use?"

I suspect that there are lots of folk out there like me... though not that many admit it <s>