PDA

View Full Version : first order for a celebrity, hehe

sascha gast
03-13-2005, 7:30 AM
hehe, no, i didn't get a phone call from a celebrity, one of my clients is taking care of Quincy Jones, here in Bel Air. it's his birthday on monday and she asked me if I could make her a bowl/vessel for her o give to Quincy. she thought it might be a nice gift for the man who has everything.
so after work today i spent a few hours and turned a vessel from bigleaf maple for her. i am just kind of excited since he is so well known and the way it looks, Oprah comes by his house when she is in town. i kinda hope she gets to see my vessel. nonetheless it was fun to make and now i'll deliver it tomorrow to her so she can give it away.
here a few pics

sascha

Jerry Clark
03-13-2005, 7:38 AM
Great looking bowl-- nice form and color- the lid is just right! Anyone would love that bowl.

Mark Singer
03-13-2005, 8:05 AM
Very beautiful work! Beautiful wood too! Quincy will be very happy, even with Michael's little problem....;)

Jeff Sudmeier
03-13-2005, 8:17 AM
I am sure Quincy will be very happy with the gift! Just to know your piece is in someone famous home, would be very cool

Kelly C. Hanna
03-13-2005, 8:48 AM
Very nice work on the bowl!! That's about the nicest piece of Maple I've seen yet!

Congrats on the famous client!

Jim Dunn
03-13-2005, 9:22 AM
You spent ONLY a few hours?? That's a beautiful bowl. I'm sure anyone would enjoy it. Let alone a star like Quincy Jones. If it's full of candy or Twinkies Ophra can't possibly miss it:)

John Shuk
03-13-2005, 10:04 AM
If it wasn't going to Quincy Jones it would be stunning. That is a really cool thing to have happen though. Very cool.
John

Jim Becker
03-13-2005, 10:14 AM
It really matters not who is going to get it...that vessel is stunning, Sascha! But knowing it's going where it's going is some nice "icing on the cake"!

Steve Ash
03-13-2005, 10:18 AM
That is one beautiful piece of work Sascha, very well done!:cool:

Corey Hallagan
03-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Very cool piece for sure! Nice work, don't know how you turners do that stuff!

Corey

Bart Leetch
03-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Thats a beautiful bowl I hope you signed & dated the bottom.

nic obie
03-13-2005, 1:46 PM
Thats a beautiful bowl I hope you signed & dated the bottom.

AND your phone number too! :D

Nice work Sascha.

sascha gast
03-13-2005, 2:34 PM
thank you guys, and YES, i signed it, dated it and YES i also put my cell number on it. hey, you never know.
this piece of wood was actually bought on EBAY. i have a few more, great stuff and not too expensive.

as most of you know, i am a hairstylist. so far most of my bowl went to my clients. many of them just want to buy a bowl from their STYLIST. i also sold a good amount of pens to my clients..

on thursday, one of my clients ordered 30 pens from me for $25 each. he wants to give them to his staff. so i'll be making 50 or so. just want to give him a selection. my girlfriend works with me in the salon and one of her clients wants a custom table
i am very excited, maybe there will be a day when this hobby at least pays for itself. or more tools anyway.

sascha

Andy London
03-13-2005, 5:44 PM
Oh my gosh that is an awsome piece of work, the wood is just stunning, personally I would not be able to part with it!!

Three years ago Angelina Jolee was in Halifax filming a movie, I had a booth at a craft market on the waterfront. This lady bought a few pieces from me and to be honest I had no idea who she was. Two weeks later she came back with an art piece to be framed and asked to have it delivered to an address when it was finished and she left me a number. When I delivered it we talked for a bit, she told me she was here filming a movie and she really liked the way folks here gave her space....still didn't catch on. We talked for a few more moments and she asked if I wanted an autograph, I turned a little red and said miss, I have no idea who you are:) Then she told me and it still didn't really register until I saw her a few weeks later in a movie:) It's neat running into stars, my son sold Rob Lowe a maple burl bowl last year as he was here on holidays....I had no idea he was so short but one super nice guy.

Jason Tuinstra
03-14-2005, 2:45 AM
Sascha, that's a great looking bowl. The wood is fantastic. You can be proud of this one, no matter who it's for.

Andy: I loved the story.