PDA

View Full Version : Leaky alkaline batteries?

Phil Thien
01-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Is it just me, or are alkaline batteries leaking more these days?

I only use Duracell and Energizer. In the last month I've found four devices with leaky batteries. A remote control for a stereo in the shop, a calculator, a label printer, and an LED flashlight.Prior to this, I can't remember the last time I had a leaky battery.

John Fabre
01-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes, they are leaking sooner than I remember, made cheaper.

David G Baker
01-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I have a very expensive light meter that takes 2 different batteries. I don't dare leave batteries in the meter because of leaking batteries. I have had to clean the corrosion off of the contacts twice. I only use copper top batteries and was shocked that they leaked. Now do not leave batteries in any thing except flashlights that I use for emergency lighting during power failures.

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2012, 7:49 PM
Battery companies 'used' to advertise that if their batteries leaked and ruined your 'whatever' they would replace it no charge. But I guess today, the 'whatevers' can be worth a small fortune, so the battery makers keep a low profile. But, I'll bet if you complained loud enough you would get some action and your property replaced.

John alder
01-05-2012, 5:00 PM
I believe that was "Ray o Vack Haven't seen that brand for a while

Van Huskey
01-05-2012, 5:42 PM
I began to see that issue, since then I have replaced just about every battery with rechargable ones. On some devices I haven't broke even yet but on several I have saved probably double what I would have spent. The only issue now is I am beginning to get failed rechargables but I haven't had one leak yet. One thing I like is never having to scavange batteries when I am out since I keep a couple of extra sets of each and only have to remember to replace them when the odd set fails.