PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift build ideas.

Dave Lehnert
01-02-2012, 9:21 PM
I have a nephew that is getting married. Early 20's in age. Need to start thinking about a woodworking project as a gift. They are going to purchase a new house so anything goes. I am thinking something larger. No kind of gift box or such. I build clocks but clocks are for the second anniversary (I think)

Matt Meiser
01-02-2012, 9:41 PM
I built my brother and his wife a buffet. My brother designed it to go with a table his wife already had and parents bought the materials ($800 worth of mahogany.)

Unless you know what they like really well, I'd be inclined to give them the gift of working with them to design something they'd like. Style is too personal otherwise.

Lee Schierer
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I have a nephew that is getting married. Early 20's in age. Need to start thinking about a woodworking project as a gift. They are going to purchase a new house so anything goes. I am thinking something larger. No kind of gift box or such. I build clocks but clocks are for the second anniversary (I think)

I think the anniversary thing only comes into play if you are married to the person receiving the gift. I made a clocks for a nephew and his wife and for a friends wedding. They were well received. For the Bridal shower I gave them a wall barometer/thermometer/hygrometer that would match the clock they would receive at the wedding.218138218137

Garrett Ellis
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I've built 2 of these for wedding gifts so far:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?144039-Cowboy-Cooler-Wedding-Gift

the second was Arkansas Razorback themed (obviously much easier on the eyes than A&M).

Both couples in their 20s, they seemed to like it. Just be careful because everyone else will probably ask for their own.

Bill Bukovec
01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I think for the third annivesary it's custom to buy the lady a Bed Snake Bat.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2012, 1:24 PM
I think chest of drawers would make a great gift. All the ones that you can reasonably buy are junk and a new couple will always be challenged for drawer space. Plus it's a pretty easy project if you don't get too fancy with it. Added bonus, simple lines and design make refinishing it over the years much easier!.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2012, 1:27 PM
I think the anniversary thing only comes into play if you are married to the person receiving the gift. I made a clocks for a nephew and his wife and for a friends wedding. They were well received. For the Bridal shower I gave them a wall barometer/thermometer/hygrometer that would match the clock they would receive at the wedding.218138218137

I like your Schoolhouse clock! Is that a "real" movement or an electric one? I've got one of these on my short list of projects. My Grandmother had a Seth Thomas one stained a very dark color that was always on her wall. Not sure what happened to it after she passed, but thinking that a replica would make a good present for my Mom...

Dave Lehnert
01-03-2012, 5:53 PM
I built my brother and his wife a buffet. My brother designed it to go with a table his wife already had and parents bought the materials ($800 worth of mahogany.)

Unless you know what they like really well, I'd be inclined to give them the gift of working with them to design something they'd like. Style is too personal otherwise.

I always like to surprise someone but think your idea of them designing something would be best.

Lee Schierer
01-03-2012, 7:53 PM
The movements are battery operated with a working pendulum, with chimes through a speaker from Klock-kit. I did not use their kit or plans for the wood parts though.

Charlie Barnes
01-03-2012, 8:01 PM

I like this idea too. If they are like my wife and I were, we didn't have much let alone the financial ability to purchase a custom piece of custom furniture back then. I think this would be very special.

Charlie

Lloyd Kerry
01-03-2012, 9:07 PM
My vote is for the chest of drawers- always useful. But how about a little different twist? Maybe make it only 18-24" wide, (and whatever height you want). That makes it usable in many rooms- bedroom, dining room, office...

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2012, 8:01 AM
How about a blanket chest? Fit it with a padded top and it becomes a nice sitting bench at the end of the bed. Stand alone enough that it can be made of different wood and not clash too much with the rest of the bedroom suite.

Ed Barnes
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with the blanket chest. Here is one we made for a wedding gift.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?109780-Wedding-gift-ideas&p=1107539&highlight=#post1107539

Rick Fisher
01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I have made a couple of Sofa Tables for wedding gifts.. Most younger folks don't have one and they can be used all over the place.

Don Morris
01-04-2012, 3:02 PM
I think Matt Meiser is right. I'm married to a designer and personal choice is too personal. Ask them, work with them. They will appreciate it. You can also politely put limits where they might not be aware when they ask for something is way out of order. Color choice to some is so important it's just too important to be left to chance.