PDA

View Full Version : No 44 - Firewood Cherry Bowl

James Combs
01-02-2012, 8:43 PM
Turned the week before Christmas. Wood was given to me by an acquaintance and this will be going back to him in appreciation. He gave me about 8-10 logs ranging from 8" to 20". The wood has been dead and standing for several years and just recently cut down for firewood. It is already fairly dry with only minor checking. I am pretty sure most of it looks at least as good as this piece. Hoping that there is not too much of the grayish areas. It is intended as fruit bowl.

Stats:
Material = Cherry
Diameter = 8.5"
Height = 2.5"
Finish = BLO(for now)

C&C Appreciated.

John Keeton
01-02-2012, 8:46 PM
JD, I kind of like the gray areas!! Nice contrast. So, are we going to see these pieces at the meeting Thursday?? You did remember the meeting, didn't you??;)

James Combs
01-02-2012, 8:53 PM
JD, I kind of like the gray areas!! Nice contrast. So, are we going to see these pieces at the meeting Thursday?? You did remember the meeting, didn't you??;)

Yep I remember it. Got it setup in Outlook as a reoccurring event. Probably won't bring this on, it is still drying but I will bring something.
'

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2012, 9:02 PM
That is some nice looking firewood James. Nice deep color and a pretty bowl.

Jim Burr
01-02-2012, 9:38 PM
The gray is hard to find so hang on to it!! Good M&M bowl sir...they don't come along often!

Greg Just
01-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice looking bowl. Isn't cherry great to turn? One of my favorites.

charlie knighton
01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
i like the large base for a fruit bowl

Baxter Smith
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice looking bowl. Both functional and pretty. You should have some fun turning the rest of those logs!

James Combs
01-03-2012, 7:41 PM
That is some nice looking firewood James. Nice deep color and a pretty bowl.
Thanks Bernie, always appreciate your comments.

The gray is hard to find so hang on to it!! Good M&M bowl sir...they don't come along often!
Thanks Jim, I don't mind a little of the Gray as character points but this has just a little too much IMO.

Nice looking bowl. Isn't cherry great to turn? One of my favorites.
Thanks Greg and Ditto.

i like the large base for a fruit bowl
Exactly Charlie! Don't you just hate it when the fruit is rolling all over the place because the bowl tipped over.:eek:;)

Nice looking bowl. Both functional and pretty. You should have some fun turning the rest of those logs!
Thanks Baxter, I am working to have some more made out of this firewood.:rolleyes::)