PDA

View Full Version : No 43 - Spalted Box Elder Bowl

James Combs
01-02-2012, 8:34 PM
Turned this two weeks before Christmas. I had a couple wide cracks I filled with dyed epoxy(dark green). Don't care for the result but the bowl its self is OK.

Stats:
Material = Spalted Box Elder
Width = ~7 inches
Height = ~2.5
Finish = Several coats of satin WOP(not buffed as yet)

Forgot to take a pic of the bottom:o. Has triple rings in center and a forth at outside perimeter with name, date, species in center.

C&C welcomed.

Thomas Heck
01-02-2012, 8:42 PM
Looks nice! Filling that crack beats throwing it away. I have threw several away that this would have solved.

John Keeton
01-02-2012, 8:50 PM
Another nice one, JD. I notice you are leaving the bases large on these bowls.

James Combs
01-02-2012, 8:55 PM
Another nice one, JD. I notice you are leaving the bases large on these bowls.

Yes, I am intending them for utility purposes. This one will be "My" popcorn bowl and the other is intended t be a fruit bowl.

Jim Burr
01-02-2012, 9:01 PM
Wow!! I'm looking at the inside and will be working to get there!! I'm not fond of the blue filler... but the filler idea is cool. I'm gonna push to get there! 9.0 on the Happy scale!

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2012, 9:04 PM
Another fine looking bowl James. The wood looks really good.

Dan Forman
01-03-2012, 2:40 AM
Good looking bowl, lots of things going on in that wood.

Dan

James Combs
01-03-2012, 7:34 PM
Looks nice! Filling that crack beats throwing it away. I have threw several away that this would have solved.
Thanks Thomas, If I threw away everything that I have that had cracks in it I wouldn't have anything to turn.;)

Wow!! I'm looking at the inside and will be working to get there!! I'm not fond of the blue filler... but the filler idea is cool. I'm gonna push to get there! 9.0 on the Happy scale!
Thanks Jim, the inside is not the result of good tool use I just finally got into power sanding.:rolleyes: Makes a major difference and improvement to the finish. I wish I had left the filler "Blue", it actually green because I put a little bit of yellow dye in with the blue:(. Should have used turquoise or something similar but I was thinking Christmas, Red and Green.:D

Another fine looking bowl James. The wood looks really good.

Good looking bowl, lots of things going on in that wood.
Dan

Thanks Bernie/Dan, I got more just like it:rolleyes: similar cracks and all.:)