PDA

View Full Version : Commemorative Pens

Keith Outten
01-02-2012, 7:50 PM
When we open a new building at CNU I make pens from scrap materials that I find during the construction phase of each project. Last July we opened our new Science building and I was able to get some cherry scraps from the main stairway that I used for the top of each pen. I used scrap Vanilla Corian for the bottom of each pen that came from the door signs. To add a third detail I cut a groove in the Corian and filled it with epoxy mixed with sanding dust from a piece of one of the laboratory table tops that was broken.

I only made eight of these pens, they will be given to a select group of people I worked with during the construction of the project.

If you are a pen turner this might give you some ideas that may open up some new areas of revenue. Commemorative pens are very popular with the people who are involved with certain projects. Should you approach them at the beginning of a job and tell them you only need a handfull of scraps you may be surprised how many orders you will receive. For instance you may be able to sell pens made from scraps that you acquire from a hospital construction project in the gift shop when the hospital opens.

Greg Just
01-02-2012, 7:53 PM
Keith:

That is a great idea. By the way, very nice looking pen.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2012, 7:59 PM
Very nice Keith! Good idea on the commemorative pens.

I suppose you got that SJPT wood from Ashton? Have you made any pens from it yet? If you have post a couple of pics and it would be nice if I could show a pic or two to the lady who donated the wood from this tree. Send me a PM if you want and I can send you my email address.

Thanks!

craig lorence
01-02-2012, 8:03 PM
Very nice commemorative pen.

Keith Outten
01-02-2012, 8:13 PM
Thanks guys,

These pens were made from an inexpensive streamline kit. The quality of the pen isn't the primary concern, what makes them so popular is the source of the material and the fact that they are limited.

Roger, I got the SJPT wood from Ashton. You sent me way more than I needed but I will try my best to turn as many pens as possible. I have been letting the wood do a little drying in the shop for awhile, soon I will try to microwave dry a piece and see how that works. All the pens made from the SJPT wood will be sent to the Middle East to combat servicemen and women. I will laser engrave a certification for each pen and assign a serial number. I would be glad to send you a pen for the lady that donated the tree.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2012, 8:34 PM
All the pens made from the SJPT wood will be sent to the Middle East to combat servicemen and women. I will laser engrave a certification for each pen and assign a serial number. I would be glad to send you a pen for the lady that donated the tree.

Keith........that would mean a lot to this lady...........she is a very giving sort, herself and is helping us with the sales we are doing for the Wounded Warriors. I know she would cherish a pen from this knowing it is a freedom pen. If you could, send me a PM when you get some done and I will give you my address........I will see her off and on at our meetings, and will be most happy to present it to her from you!

Jim Burr
01-02-2012, 9:15 PM
I'd like to see a few go to my son. Although he has one of my pens, the 1st Battalion, Delta Company, Platoon 1063 Marine Division San Diego could use some. Although I have the honor of continued service, and am a Lt CMDR (ret). We still work thru NDMS DMAT CA-6. Any support for us would be great and appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Keith - what a great idea! Cool looking pen and I am sure those lucky few who receive them will appreciate your efforts!

Bill Wyko
01-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Way to go Keith. What a great idea. Pen looks great.

Keith Outten
01-03-2012, 6:26 AM
A little more background on these pens.

I made 70 pens with the help of my oldest daughter when we opened the David Student Union. Every pen we made was given to workmen on the project, laborers, carpenters, welders, etc.
I made 30 pens from the building Directory scraps when we opened McMurran Hall, most were given to staff and faculty.

I collected some unique material from the FreeMan Center expansion project but I haven't made the pens yet. This facility includes a threater with a stage. The stage was covered with a soft gray plastic sheet which I was able to get a small piece of scrap plus some wood scraps and sign material. I don't have a design yet for these pens, still thinking about what my options are.

Although i don't sell these pens I know how much people want them and I am sure that they would be willing to pay a handsome price if I could make them in volume. My situation is unique in this case, it isn't about a financial gain, I do it for totally different reasons. I'm sure that someone who makes pens for profit could turn this idea into a very lucrative business venture. The construction industry is in a slump these days but there are still some buildings that are active projects. The number of prospects per building could be very high depending on the project. Acquiring the materials could be as easy as offering the Construction Superintendent a couple of free pens in exchange for a handful of materials.

Another possibility would be to explore the option of selling pens to the companies who build the buildings. They may very well be interested in using them as rewards to employees who work on their projects. A commemorative pen should be worth two to three times the price of a regular pen which would make them a very profitable venture.

My 2 cents, I hope this helps someone......