PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance

Sean Troy
01-02-2012, 5:47 PM
Any boaters out there have any tips on shopping for boat insurance? Pleasure/fishing boat. Thanks, Sean

Harry Simms
01-02-2012, 6:59 PM
I personally have mine with State Farm where I have my homeowners and auto.

As an alternative, these people are highly thought of by a number of people on a bass boat forum I frequent - they may be worth a look. http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/ (http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/) I have no personal experience with them, but have read a number of posts from satisfied customers on the other board.

Shawn Pixley
01-02-2012, 7:37 PM
I use progressive. Never had an issue. I have tow insurance with BoatUS.

Sean Troy
01-02-2012, 8:12 PM
I use progressive. Never had an issue. I have tow insurance with BoatUS. I got to ask, what is tow insurance? Is that in addition to boat insurance?

Shawn Pixley
01-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Tow Insurance is just that. My boat is ocean going. If you break down 40 miles out, they will come and tow you back to the harbor. Without it, it is either pay (several hundred dollars) or next stop, the south pacific. It isn't any protection against loss or liability. If on a Lake (excluding the great lakes), no real need in my estimation.

Sean Troy
01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Tow Insurance is just that. My boat is ocean going. If you break down 40 miles out, they will come and tow you back to the harbor. Without it, it is either pay (several hundred dollars) or next stop, the south pacific. It isn't any protection against loss or liability. If on a Lake (excluding the great lakes), no real need in my estimation. I see. yeah, probably a good thing to have for ocean boating.I'll just be fresh water boating.

curtis rosche
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
kinda off topic, but my girlfriends family has their boat in a marina in northeast maryland, and 20+ boat got broken into, not much stolen other than small things like change and pills. but they slept in her boot and defacated and urinated everywhere and smoked a carton of cigs on the main bed and left ash everywhere and food crumbs. but cause they didnt actually break anything or steal anything it we arent sure if its covered, and the marina says they arent liable.
so make sure you know what your stuck with and what gets paid for

Randy Alkins
01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Really good service from Boat US, Be sure insured for value of boat. Trailered? Towing on water $139 for unlimited for me on the coast out to 100 miles at sea. Just remember towing on water starts at the tow boat leaving the dock and does not end until he gets back in at $125 per hour. Also be sure to have fuel spill included. Seen too many dock jockeys put the fuel nozzle in a rod holder instead of the fuel fill. Think of 100 gallons of fuel in the bilge. Cut all battery to pump and call USCG ASAP.

Ben Hatcher
01-03-2012, 1:00 PM
I insure mine through Nationwide along with my home and truck. They had a bunch of really nice options for insuring not only the craft but the contents as well.

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2012, 7:41 PM
I'm now 'boatless' but I used to get my insurance through the PowerSquadron. The discount was decent, and the service good.

They say the happiest days in a boaters life is the day he buys it, and the day he sells it.. But I'll tell you from personal experience, the day he sells it is much,much,better...

Peter Elliott
01-03-2012, 11:20 PM
I just redid mine and Progressive was the most competitive. My agent like their plan and I liked the price. We shopped all the major carriers. I plan on getting tow insurance as well. I have a bass boat and will travel. Never know when you need the tow in or other small things they cover. It is way cheaper the 1x emergency tow from a company.

Sean Troy
01-04-2012, 8:39 AM
I just redid mine and Progressive was the most competitive. My agent like their plan and I liked the price. We shopped all the major carriers. I plan on getting tow insurance as well. I have a bass boat and will travel. Never know when you need the tow in or other small things they cover. It is way cheaper the 1x emergency tow from a company.
I'm still shopping. prices all over the place but much cheaper than auto insurance. What's covered is where you need to be very careful it seems.