PDA

View Full Version : Why do I need an upcut bit when a downcut bit works??

Duane Bledsoe
01-02-2012, 5:18 PM
OK, talking about router bits. First, I see obvious advantages to each bit in their uses. I comprehend how they work (reading about them anyway, I've never used either one).

I've read how to use an upcut bit when mortising so that the wood shavings and chips were channeled up and out of the hole. This makes perfect sense.

I've also read where a downcut spiral bit is what I need to rout a dado in veneered plywood to help keep the veneer from raising as I cut. This also makes perfect sense. But if a downcut works for a dado, which is just a really long mortise to me, then how is it that the wood shavings and chips are channeled out of the way......or are they?? And since it works here, then why wouldn't it work for a regular mortise?? Is it because a mortise is sometimes a lot deeper and the shavings may have a harder time getting out of the hole, and therefore cause problems??

The reason I ask is because I am debating spending that $40 gift card I have on a couple of nice router bits that I might not otherwise put that much money on at this stage of my woodworking. If I only need one bit to do both mortises and dadoes then I could use the rest on something else, like a layout square or marking knife. Each bit is by Bosch and costs about $18 to $20. I'd love it if they were the 1/2" shank, but they are only the 1/4" shank, and also cut 1/4". I figure a 1/4" bit will work anyway for dadoes and mortises, even if I have to make multiple passes. I can always rout a bigger hole or dado with a smaller bit, but not go down in size with a larger bit.

Alan Schwabacher
01-02-2012, 5:48 PM
A regular mortise tends to be pretty deep compared to its width, so it's harder to get the chips out. If they stay in, you can keep on cutting them and possibly burn. An upcut bit will help to pull out the chips, and any tearout at the edges of the mortise will be covered by the shoulders of the tenon.

In contrast, a shallow dado or groove has less of a problem with chip extraction, and the top edges frequently are visible in the completed piece, so the downcut bit that produces cleaner edges is useful.

You don't really need a spiral bit for either of these applications. A sharp straight bit will generally work fine, and a slight shear may be plenty if you find a problem with the straight bit. Not all bits plunge well, so look for that for cutting mortises.

A spiral upcut bit will have some tendency to pull out of the collet, and if not sufficiently tightened could lead to deeper cuts than planned, with possible destruction of workpiece or injury. Make sure it's tight, and stop and recheck bit depth periodically.

A spiral downcut bit produces a force that pushes the router and work apart. Make sure you retain control.

It's not that either of these tendencies will likely get out of hand, but you should be aware of them in order to work safely and effectively.

Tom Walz
01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Alan Schwabacher, that is a really impressive reply.

Tom Walz

Bill White
01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Using a 1/4" shaft bit for morticing is not the best. I've had 'em break. 1/2" shaft bits will get the job done better. Get an upcut bit and be happy with the results.
Bill

Prashun Patel
01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
A downcut bit in a dado is fine since chips are blown along the channel, and the router base rarely covers the entire length of the dado. So the 'wind' from the router tends to blow the chips out pretty easily. In a mortise, the chips can sometimes get trapped.

If you could have only one, I personally find a downcut more useful; you can always compensate for chips by pausing and cleaning out between shallow passes.

I agree that 1/4" shaft is not the best idea for this kind of bit. Also, Bosch bits perform middle-of-the-pack for me. So, I'd hold out for a 1/2" shaft and use the card for other things.

Spiral may be overkill in a dado, but it's very clean and has other uses - like circle and cross cutting.

glenn bradley
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm with Tom; Alan's answer gets top honors ;-)

Duane Bledsoe
01-03-2012, 6:25 PM
Can you get a 1/2" shaft bit that cuts 1/4" mortises?? I wouldn't have much call for 1/4" other than mortising the 1x stuff, but I can see a use for that quite often.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2012, 8:38 PM
Yep, I just got through breaking one and had to buy a replacement. Tha skinny cutter isn't very forgiving if you are using close to the entire cutter length. Mine was just a "normal" straight bit, Woodcraft house brand. The break was all on me so I didn't feel funny about buying another identical bit.

Drew Eckhardt
01-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Can you get a 1/2" shaft bit that cuts 1/4" mortises?? I wouldn't have much call for 1/4" other than mortising the 1x stuff, but I can see a use for that quite often.

Whiteside makes 1/4" solid carbide bits with 1/2" shanks. Might be nice for template work where you want the extra bit length.

Rick Fisher
01-05-2012, 3:04 AM
1/4" cutters with 1/2" shanks are available..

About 2 months ago I had a Freud 1/2" Spiral carbide bit grab when I was cutting a deep mortise and break.. First time for everything..