PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2012, 5:15 PM
Well we had some wind go thru here Saturday up to 90 mph. It took down a few trees here mostly branch. A friend of mine called and wanted to know if I wanted some wood to turn. I told him sure. He said it is your for the taking. Never turn down free wood. It isn't anything close to Ken Hill's gloats but hey free wood is free wood. It turns out as he called it a ornamental weeping willow. I got 3 pretty good sized logs about 3 to 4 ft long and about 10 to 11 1/2 inches in diameter. Difficult turning I know but like I said free is free. So will give it a go especially the crotches that show some feathering. I also think there will be some nice pieces with the light colored wood to play with some dye.

Ken Hill
01-02-2012, 5:25 PM
Now get to turning it!

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2012, 5:27 PM
Bernie - Congrats on your free wood! Let us know how you like turning Willow. I never have and even turned down some free Willow when I was first started turning because folks here said it was challenging! Have fun with it!!

Dan Forman
01-02-2012, 5:51 PM
Free wood is good wood. I'v seen some nice things made from willow, though never had the opportunity to try it myself.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2012, 6:45 PM
Thanks. Steve I have turned some willow from the farm that I got from the creek bottom. Don't know it this is the same but is pretty stringy when cutting it. I hope to rough turn 3 pieces tomorrow and see how it goes. I know sharp tools are a must and hoping my EWT tools will help if needed.

Greg Just
01-02-2012, 8:04 PM
Nice haul Bernie!

charlie knighton
01-02-2012, 8:06 PM
free wood , i agree is good wood, never turned willow, but looking forward to seeing what you do with it

Pete Jordan
01-02-2012, 8:31 PM
Hey Buddy,

I am sure you will make something special!

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2012, 9:06 PM
Thanks Pete. Hopefully rough a few out tomorrow.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2012, 9:56 PM
Nuttin' wrong with that, Bernie! I have one piece of willow given to me, and I have been debating getting into it..........I have heard it is not the easiest to turn.........what I don't know is why.......for sure, anyway. Somewhere in the back of my mind it seems like something related to it being stringy is there...........I may have that confused with cotton wood..........

Anybody got any good info on willow.......chime in!

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Roger. I can tell you the cottonwood around here is no where near as stringy as the creek willow is but hopefully the ornamental willow will be ok. I will know more tomorrow.

Baxter Smith
01-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Free wood is good wood! Should be fun to play with.

robert baccus
01-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Cut it while green and wet or burn it.--------------old forester

steven carter
01-03-2012, 8:09 AM
I turned some what we call weeping willow from a neighbor's yard and it wasn't as bad to turn as I expected, actually had some curl in it. Good luck with yours!

Hayes Rutherford
01-03-2012, 8:24 AM
Bernie, I've turned some ornamental willow and as others have said it can be challenging but doable. It is one of those woods that BLO seems to bring bring out the color contrast in the grain lines very well.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks again. I roughed a few blanks yesterday and wow did that stuff sling the water. My shirt sleeve was just soaked. Even green it had some stringy sections but found with a freshly sharpened gouge it came out quite well. The two piece of the crotch weren't as good as I thought they might be but will see when dried.