PDA

View Full Version : Benchcrafted, Veritas Knock-Down Fasteners for bench construction

Mike Holbrook
01-02-2012, 3:18 PM
Has anyone used these fasteners to make their bench base "Knock-Down"? I am wondering how good/strong a joint these bolts make? Benchcrafted seems to think theirs is an improved version and even suggest them in their plans. Although I have no plans to move or move my shop, if it ever comes up...well the whole idea of trying to move the monster I am about to build makes my back ache.

David Kumm
01-02-2012, 4:10 PM
I've used the Veritas- well made- and anything made by Benchcrafted is beyond top of the line. For a workbench I drawbore the fittings. If I ever wish to knock it down I'd rather build a new bench modified for my previous mistakes and sell the old. The best part of my Roubo is that it totally solid. None of my machines can be knocked down either. Dave

James Hamilton
01-02-2012, 5:38 PM
I've built countless benches. I always assume I'll never want to take it back apart. But then I end up using a sledge hammer and chain saw to disassemble all my hard work...

Adam Slutsky
01-02-2012, 7:13 PM
I am building a Robou style bench and used the Benchcrafted bench bolts for the stretchers since I wanted it to be able to get the bench out of my basement if I ever moved. I used stub tennons and bench bolts to connect the strechers into the sides of the bench base. I looked at the Veritas but chose the Benchcrafted since they were 2" longer. I was hesitant to spend $50 on 4 bolts and nuts but, after installing them, have not regretted it. They are very well made and machined and made putting the bench together very easy.

Daniel Berlin
01-02-2012, 7:47 PM
Has anyone used these fasteners to make their bench base "Knock-Down"? I am wondering how good/strong a joint these bolts make? Benchcrafted seems to think theirs is an improved version and even suggest them in their plans. Although I have no plans to move or move my shop, if it ever comes up...well the whole idea of trying to move the monster I am about to build makes my back ache.

I used my benchcrafted bolts to make a roubou bench.

My old grizzly bench had knockdown bolts, so i expected something like that.
The ones benchcrafted sent me are ridiculously overengineered for their purpose.
I'm pretty sure i could use them to make a knock down car.

Mike Holbrook
01-02-2012, 8:49 PM
Sounds like the Benchcrafted bolts will keep the bench sturdy. As much as I hate deviating from classical joinery I think I would hate knowing it would have to be sawn into pieces to be moved even worse.

Dave Anderson NH
01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I used the Veritas when I built my new bench 2 1/2 years ago. They did the job quite nicely and still are. While the Benchcrafted look very nice, the $50 pricetag makes me think they are a bit overkill.

Todd Hyman
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Mike

Highland Woodworking sells a set of four for i think $30. They look pretty good and are local.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Am I missing something? The Benchcrafted site is listing $29 for a set of four bolts; a hair under LV's asking price of $29.50. (Both of these numbers w/o shipping . . .)

Looks like both sets are pretty similar - both use 1/2" bolts and have barrels that fit in a 1" hole. LV's barrel nuts are solid brass, Benchcrafted's are zinc plated steel, and a longer in length. . .

I guess I was thinking of something similar to the fastners I've seen used in bed construction - I didn't realize these things were so massive! A 1 inch diameter nut is pretty substantial.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2012, 1:15 PM
I like the looks of the Veritas bench bolts, but it seemed like a lot of money. I bought a cylinder of brass stock from Fastenal, drilled and tapped a section of it on the end for proof of concept. It seems to work fine. I can make a dozen of those bench nuts for a lot less money.

Jack Curtis
01-03-2012, 4:07 PM
Way rich for my blood. Whatever happened to tenons and tusks?

Daniel Berlin
01-03-2012, 4:29 PM
I like the looks of the Veritas bench bolts, but it seemed like a lot of money. I bought a cylinder of brass stock from Fastenal, drilled and tapped a section of it on the end for proof of concept. It seems to work fine. I can make a dozen of those bench nuts for a lot less money.

Yeah, but you have the tooling to do so. Otherwise, it would cost a lot more.

I thought they were over priced till i received them and saw what they were really like.
To put it in perspective, at my local lowes, 4 carriage bolts of the same diameter and length, plus 4 washers, and 4 nuts (not even barrel nuts) cost more than the benchcrafted ones.

Paul Saffold
01-03-2012, 4:29 PM
I used these about 20 years ago and they are still holding fine after knocking down and reassembly for 2 moves. I know I didn't pay much for them at the time. I'm sure they aren't as user friendly as the BC or LV but how often are you going to be fiddling with them? These are on 3/8" bolts. I don't remember where I got them.

Paul Saffold
01-03-2012, 4:46 PM

I thought they were over priced till i received them and saw what they were really like.
To put it in perspective, at my local lowes, 4 carriage bolts of the same diameter and length, plus 4 washers, and 4 nuts (not even barrel nuts) cost more than the benchcrafted ones.

In that case I'd definitely go with BC. Made in the US A.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2012, 5:00 PM
Wow! prices must have dropped. Maybe I'm misremembering, but when I decided to make mine, even buying the tap and the drill bit I saved a little money over buying a set of four and I was projecting needing at least 8. Current price at LV is about $30, I got my tap and drill bit for less than half that (at the borg). I didn't think my bar stock, bolts, and washers were that much... But I do get to make mine <g>

Daniel Berlin
01-03-2012, 7:50 PM
Wow! prices must have dropped. Maybe I'm misremembering, but when I decided to make mine, even buying the tap and the drill bit I saved a little money over buying a set of four and I was projecting needing at least 8. Current price at LV is about $30, I got my tap and drill bit for less than half that (at the borg). I didn't think my bar stock, bolts, and washers were that much... But I do get to make mine <g>

Interesting. This was about 6 weeks ago when i priced it out at home depot/lowes and decided to go with benchcrafted instead.