PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4' faceplate question

David Dobbs
01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Who makes the better 1 1/4" faceplates? looking for something smaller 3"-4" range. My 1642 has the stock 6" Just to big for some things.

thanks

Dave

Rex Guinn
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
David;
I just got a 3" face plate for xmas and a 1 1/4 tap to make my own. Have not used either yet, but think the tap will be great.

Brian Effinger
01-02-2012, 1:22 PM
Don Pencil has some good aluminum faceplates, as does Easy Wood Tools. I have a couple of Don's and have no complaints. I've seen the EWT faceplates at Woodcraft, and the seem very well made, and have more than 4 screw holes, which is good.

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2012, 5:35 PM
I have the same 6" faceplate that came with my Jet and never used it because it was so large. My new lathe came with a 3" Don Pencil faceplate and I am really impressed with the quality of it. Definitely worth checking out: Don Pencil (http://www.donpencil.com/)

Don Alexander
01-02-2012, 7:13 PM
hehe i put the 6" faceplate to use on my homemade doughnut chuck , my 2" and 3" faceplates get alot of use for bowls though , i have 1 -3" that came with my Rikon lathe and another that came with my Delta and bought a Rikon brand 2" for a smaller option that has been just fine

Justin Stephen
01-02-2012, 7:34 PM
I have only used the 1x8 EWT faceplates but I have 3 (all 3") and they are good faceplates that run true.

charlie knighton
01-02-2012, 8:02 PM
i have several Don Pencil 3" faceplates, very good, the 6 inch jet faceplate is super also, use it when you have plenty of wood, some to waste, saw Larry Hasiak do a rotation "Hollowing the Low Tech Way" in which he only uses faceplate to turn a hollow form, he never reverses it, does outside about 1 or two inches down, hollows that area, does the outside another 1 or 2 inches, hollows that, ....... it is pretty wild

as long as you do not have punky wood, it is actually safer and you do not have centering problems because you do not turn it around

the 6 inch jet faceplate is great to use if you do any multi-axis outboard turning, it even has set screws which are very important