PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Kreg pocket hole jig, the little one??

Duane Bledsoe
01-02-2012, 9:46 AM
What do you think of the little Kreg pocket hole jig?? The one that's small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. One of the reviews said you have to use only the screws that come from Kreg with this. I could use a pocket hole jig since I have no real joinery tools now (biscuit joiner, dowel jig, or other).

shane lyall
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I like mine. I do a very limited amount of pocket holes and most for shop jigs and such but it workd fine for that.

Russ D Wood
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Like Shane I like mine and I also only use it around the shop for jigs and such. Russ

james glenn
01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Like Shane and Russ, I like mine and only use it for jigs mostly. On occasion for something else that is a throw together.
It does come in handy though at times. I have never used the Kreg screws with it though, just use whatever I have handy around and
is the correct size.

David Castor
01-02-2012, 2:20 PM
I've used it - it works fine if you are able to get a clamp on it. I think the main advantage of the larger units is convenience and speed. I've always used the Kreg screws.

Greg Hines, MD
01-02-2012, 2:38 PM
I have a master set, but have also used the jig free hand on a couple of projects, and it works great. The big issue with using their screws is the head. Any pan head screw will do, but you cannot just grab the nearest bugle head screw for pocket hole joinery, as it will split your workpiece as you tighten it down. Their clamp works good too, but mostly because it is so fast. Any good clamp/quick grip will do.

glenn bradley
01-02-2012, 3:08 PM
I use the mini more than any other. Funny as it is the cheapest. It can get into spots that others cannot and I do not use pocket holes the way a cabinetmaker might. I use them as a solution for a problem. I have regular Kreg jigs for "regular" pocket hole work.

Peter J Lee
01-02-2012, 3:24 PM
I like mine. I'm glad I didn't go for the bigger set ups. So far I have used it on things other than cabinets and couldn't have used the bench ones. With bigger or odd sizes it can be a challenge to clamp up to avoid creep. Having said that, if I had to do it again I think I would have gotten the forty dollar version with the clamping depth guides and clamping pad.

james glenn
01-02-2012, 3:25 PM
I have a master set, but have also used the jig free hand on a couple of projects, and it works great. The big issue with using their screws is the head. Any pan head screw will do, but you cannot just grab the nearest bugle head screw for pocket hole joinery, as it will split your workpiece as you tighten it down. Their clamp works good too, but mostly because it is so fast. Any good clamp/quick grip will do.

Admittedly, I have done that. But I don't use them on anything of great design or value, at least until this point in my work.

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2012, 9:44 PM
They are handy. I have several of them, as that's the cheapest way to buy a new bit. I also own several other Kregg jigs.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2012, 9:56 PM
Occasionally I have used them for face frames on shop cabinets. They work well.

Andrew W. Thomas
01-02-2012, 9:59 PM

+1 to this comment... Another reason for the Kreg screw is not only because of the panhead but also the self tapping head so no predrilling is required in the mating piece.

Bobby O'Neal
01-03-2012, 9:28 AM
I agree with the others. I have a mini and it works great for the right applications. Just finished two small runs of cabinets and made the face frames with a mini Kreg. Just use a regular F style to clamp it down and also clamp some sort of straight edge to your works surface to butt the work piece up to. For 3/4" material the jig is flush with the end so a stop to bump it all up to makes it repeatable and quick.

+1 on the screws. Use the kreg brand.

Ole Anderson
01-03-2012, 9:45 AM
I have done plenty of projects just using the mini and it worked fine. I put the bigger clamp version on my Christmas list and Santa came through. Can't wait to put it to use on a bigger project. Tried it out and the chip collection and clamping were certainly a step up from using the vise grip clamp to hold it to the wood. On my last two projects I mounted the mini to my wood vise with a screw and the clamping sure was improved as to speed and effectiveness.

Rich Engelhardt
01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
IMHO - the mini is a good way to get a new bit.
The two hole jig w/a clamp is the better way to go if you don't have a pocket hole jig.
As others have mentioned, the extra clamping surface is a nice feature to have, even if you only use one of the holes and not both.
I picked up a Master K3 set a year ago and haven't gotten around to setting it up/using it yet.

I use the two hole jig a lot.
Kreg screws are really top quality screws & not all that outrageous in price.

The coarse ones are excellent for screwing together MDF.

I could use a pocket hole jig since I have no real joinery tools now (biscuit joiner, dowel jig, or other).
I'd really recommend picking up a dowling jig also.
There's a lot of inexpensive ones out there that work well.
I picked up one from Rockler for under $15.

Now that I have one, I use it a lot more than I thought I would & prefer it to biscuits any day of the week.

I hate to turn a $20 Kreg jig thread into an $850 Domino thread - but - I can see why people are so fond of them - based on how often I use a dowel now.