PDA

View Full Version : DC insulation

Bart Leetch
03-12-2005, 9:09 PM
I would like to make a box & insulate the inside to go around the fan part of my DC so it could would be quieter & run without being turn of & on so often. The insulation would need to be fairly thin to keep the box from having to be large.

Any Ideas.
Thanks

Jim Dunn
03-13-2005, 9:36 AM
Bart how about construction type styrofoam (if I spelled it right). It's the type you see on the outside of homes. Comes in 3/4" and should reduce your sound level, I would think.

Mike Kelly
03-13-2005, 9:54 AM
Bart, I would use sound baffling using styrofoam or airconditioning ducting (foam foil faced type). Be careful not to insulate the motor as it needs to give off heat. Sound baffling just makes the sound change directions and thus quiet it. Just hanging styrofoam around the motor at different angles will quiet the noise to you.

Randy Moore
03-13-2005, 5:42 PM
Bart, I would use stryofoam and stay as far away from duct insulation as possible.
I am in the constrution industry, sheet metal, and they are starting to say VERY QUITELY that fiberglass causes cancer in laboratory rats. You don't want any small particles of that stuff floating in your shop or home.
Just my 2 cents.
Randy

Mike Kelly
03-13-2005, 9:41 PM
I said "FOAM foil faced type". If you breathe enough of anything you can probably die from it, fiberglass included.

Bill Lewis
03-14-2005, 5:58 AM
How about using acoustic ceiling tiles used for suspended ceilings.

Steve Clardy
03-14-2005, 8:35 AM
Hmmm. How about a hot water tank blanket??

Randy Moore
03-14-2005, 9:36 PM
I said "FOAM foil faced type". If you breathe enough of anything you can probably die from it, fiberglass included.
Pardon me Mike.

Andy London
03-15-2005, 5:52 AM
Bart, I moved my DC piping under the shop last hear and purchased rolled insulation from an HVAC place that the pipe slides into. I was going to box it in initally but it was too much work and the cost would have been abou the same....I forget the r value but I believe it was around 15.