PDA

View Full Version : LED Flashlights

Tom Winship
01-02-2012, 8:17 AM
What are your opinions on LED flashlights? There is a wide range of prices I see. Want one that is bright but do not want to spend $300. More like less than $100.
Any experience with changing the bulb in Maglites to LED?

Myk Rian
01-02-2012, 8:41 AM
My Wife bought me a Rayovac 2 AA batt. single LED light a couple years ago. It will light the woods 100 feet away behind the house.
They have come a long way improving them. Less than $30.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Tom....my aging eyes just needed more light. A coworker showed me a new "LED" light he'd bought and carried in his tool box. This was about 4 years ago. I was impressed how bright it was. So I shopped around and found a small hand-held flashlight that takes "D" size batteries. 8 LEDs. It's metal, tough..carried it in my tool bag until I retired this past February. The thing I liked about it, though I used it a lot, it was easy on batteries and it's bright. It cost in the $30 range and worth every penny.

Jim Becker
01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
I've had the opportunity to use a couple at the barn where we keep our horses (owned by the barn) and was pretty impressed. I do have a small "one-LED-power" one on my bed stand and it's pretty efficient for being so small.

Bill Huber
01-02-2012, 10:33 AM
There are tons of different LED lights out there, some of the cheap ones that I find are not worth having. I have settled on one, the Fenix L2D, it is made like a tank.

It is small, it takes 2 AA batteries.

It has 3 different light levels, just push the on button once and it gets brighter, again and it gets even brighter.
It even has an SOS that will flash, never had to use it.
The thing is bright, in high you can not look at the thing.
I am not sure they still make the L2D but you can still find them.

They make a bunch of different lights, here is a link to their web site.
http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp

M Toupin
01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Any of the rechargeable Streamlights are hard to beat. I've carried SL20 and a Stinger series for 18 years as duty lights, the stinger as my primary. The first stinger, (Xenon) I carried for 14 years then replaced it with the LED version 4 years ago. It's a good size to carry on a belt and extremely bright at 180 lumen and has 3 different intensity modes so you can have full power when needed, or cut it down when you need close up light. Very handy when trying to read a piece of paper or something reflective close up. The low power mode also significantly extends the run time. They're tough, I've done some bad things to them and they just keep working without complaint. In 18 years the only thing that I've ever had to do is replace the battery twice and the rubber cap over the switch finally gave up. Then again, I use a light a lot, every day/night, all day/night.

Streamlight is a stand up company too. After relegating the 18 year old Xenon to the back up duty, I sent it back to replace the rubber switch cover. Streamlight completely refurbished the light and replaced the battery at no cost! I light I can trust my life with and a company that stands behind their product... priceless!

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=135

Rich Engelhardt
01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I've got a few I'm real happy with.
The HF freebies are nice. We have a bunch scattered around the house.

I picked up a Stanly 5W SLW509 rechargeable two years ago on a Black Friday @ Lowes. IIRC, it was about $15. on sale.

The one I really like though is the Stanly Barflex. That thing is sweet. It's 26 LED's and acts more like a lantern than a flashlight.
Another Black Friday @ Lowes item - again under $20 on sale. Regular price on the web isn't bad though. It's about $28.

Mike Henderson
01-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a couple of Maglights - I picked up a two D cell unit at Home Depot for $15 when they were on sale and have a three D cell I bought at Amazon. Works great. Much better than the old incandescent bulbs. Gives a LOT of light and the batteries last a lot longer. Once you use an LED flashlight, you'll never go back.

The small lights that use AAA batteries do okay but they don't give near the light that the D cell units do.

Mike

David G Baker
01-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Another vote for Maglights. They put out a lot of light and the batteries last forever. I have not done the Maglight LED conversion but Maglight makes a high quality product so I would do the conversion if I already had one that was not LED.

Dan Friedrichs
01-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Tom,

I bought two from this site:
http://www.dealextreme.com/c/ultrafire-flashlights-904

Specifically this model:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-c1-xm-lt6-5-mode-510-lumen-memory-white-led-flashlight-with-clip-strap-1-18650-55237

DealExtreme is some sort of chinese importer, but the quality of some of the stuff is excellent, and the prices are amazing. Take a look at all the models the have - some times the specs are exaggerated, but there are so many user reviews that it's easy to pick out the good from the bad, and at such cheap prices, you can afford to buy several.

Many of the nicer LED flashlights will take many combinations of batteries. Many also commonly use specialty rechargeable batteries, but those are actually easily available online, and give a higher energy density than AA's, etc.

David G Baker
01-02-2012, 1:02 PM
Tom W,
Thanks for starting this thread, it motivated me to get off my buns and order the LED conversion kit for my 3 D-cell Maglight. I keep the light where it is handy for when we get a power failure but it is frequently suffering from low batteries and dim light so thanks to you I will have a bright light when our power fails.

Mike Henderson
01-02-2012, 1:32 PM
Tom W,
Thanks for starting this thread, it motivated me to get off my buns and order the LED conversion kit for my 3 D-cell Maglight. I keep the light where it is handy for when we get a power failure but it is frequently suffering from low batteries and dim light so thanks to you I will have a bright light when our power fails.
I did a lot of research and couldn't find a conversion bulb for the old Maglights that got good reviews. Maglight, themselves, don't sell a conversion kit, and a replacement bulb for an LED flashlight is almost the same price as the whole flashlight. I assume they did that to get people to buy new.

Where did you find a conversion LED bulb? And can you compare it to a factory Maglight LED flashlight? I have a few old Maglights that I'd like to convert.

Mike

Kevin Gregoire
01-02-2012, 1:40 PM
LED flashlights are awesome, a hundred times brighter then a normal flashlight!
i have about twenty or more of these flashlights i got for free from HF with
coupons i had. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-2-half-inch-nine-led-flashlights-2-pack-97036.html
but check out all the other cheap flashlights they have available at the next link.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?keyword=flashlight

and just for a super cheap aluminum light these little buggers work great, so i
can only imagine what a good quality maglight could do?

i place these little ones all around my house, garage and workshop in case power
ever goes out im only a few steps away from one wherever im at.

Al Wasser
01-02-2012, 2:16 PM
I had similar questions. I happened to me looking for something in the automotive section at wally world and found several different model of LED flashlights there. None were big $ items. I got a little one for about $12 or so that does what I want quite well. You might give that a look

David G Baker
01-02-2012, 4:36 PM
Mike,
I bought the conversion off of Amazon, it was just under $13 plus shipping with a total of around $17. I don't know if it is made by Maglight but other buyers rated the conversion quite highly. The conversion for the 3 D-cell light is a one piece unit that is similar in size to the regular bulb. Conversion kits for the smaller units are different but I didn't study them so I don't know what is different about them. I have two of the 3 AA-cell LED Maglights that I bought from Sam's club at a very reasonable price that have served me well and I have yet to replace the batteries and I have had them over a year and use them frequently.

Jim Koepke
01-02-2012, 4:57 PM
A friend of mine is a flashlight fanatic. He gave me a Maglite that he converted. It is a two C-cell type and throws a great spot for distance.

My thoughts on this are that there are different types of duty the LED flashlights perform. The multiple LED types usually do not throw a good spot for distance. They are great for lighting up wide areas at short distances.

Then there are the more modern high powered single chip emitters that are great for distance but my not be great for trying to read in bed.

I still have a couple that Costco sold years ago. They were some of the early consumer priced single chip units at 2/$30. They use 2-AA batteries and are great for a bright beam. The main problem they have is a bad solder joint on the switches circuit board. I have taken mine apart and fixed them more than once or twice. My friend had problems with the switch failing. I don't know if he tried taking his apart, but he is even more of a taker aparter and fixer upper than me.

I think his current preference is for models that use the LED "chip" made by Cree.

jtk

Bryan Morgan
01-03-2012, 1:08 AM
What are your opinions on LED flashlights? There is a wide range of prices I see. Want one that is bright but do not want to spend $300. More like less than $100.
Any experience with changing the bulb in Maglites to LED?

I used to think theres no way LED could be very bright... man was I wrong. I put a Lumaforce Tac5 on the forend of my AR15 and man is that thing ever bright. It has multiple settings but the brightest lights up my whole backyard. Way beyond any Maglite I've ever owned and its tiny. I don't know how long the battery lasts. It still has the one it came with in there. The light was about 50 bucks with the rail mount.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-03-2012, 5:01 PM
I own a 4D maglite and my kids dropped it and the light broke. Tomorrow, I should have an LED replacement bulb for under $20. Lots of money considering the cost of the flashlight. On the other hand, it is rated at 140 lumens and should have great battery life. As a side note to understand options, I could have spent closer to $80 for a 600 lumen bulb. Ponder that for a moment, 600 lumens. So, what do you give up when you go from 140 lumens to 600 lumens?

1. Battery life. Normally this is not something you lose when you move to an LED, but that is a lot more light.

2. The 600 lumen replacement replaces the reflector as well, a common issue when you use a replacement. Used an LED replacement on a 2AA maglite and it produces decent light, but you cannot focus the beam. You get what you get and nothing else. I mean, you can control which setting, on this 600 lumen beast (4 settings I believe), but you cannot change how that light is distributed.

TerraLUX makes a few different 2AA LED lights. One has 220 lumens and one has 300 lumens. One item of note is that the 300 lumen variety provides a wider field of view than the 220 lumen light. So you should check things such as:

What features and modes are supported? Do I care.... When I had an extended power outage (more than one week) I setup an LED lantern in the hall between the bedrooms so that my young children would be able to see if they got up during the night. I did not desire a high output device. On the other hand, with the young children I did not think that I could ask them to choose a mode in a light. So, you may want fancy modes on your light, but not one that you give to your child.

How are the controls used? There is a light listed as a tactical light, but it does not have a momentary on switch. Your only choice is "click" and on and then "click" and off. This is not what you usually desire a tactical light (the noise or an inability to easily do a short flash).

If you have a replacement bulb, what else will you replace? On one light, I had to replace the bulb and the reflector. I have a replacement that comes with a replacement end cap, but I found their end cap to not work well so I do not use it.

How much light might you need / desire? If you really want to go for the big output thing, think about the Fenix TK41, which uses 8 AA batteries and puts out up to 800 lumens. If you value run time over size, they almost make a 4D cell version (TK60). Note that on full output, the AA version runs for only a couple of hours. It also has a 10, 108, and 335 lumen mode for run times of 240 hours, 27 hours, and 7 hours. The recommendation from those that own both is to purchase the TK41 unless you really need the extended run time and size is not a problem.

If you really want small, the maglite XL200 is pretty highly rated.

Jim Stewart
01-03-2012, 5:10 PM
I have several LED lights. The most amazing one is a small 21 led (I think...just got my knee replaced and cannot get to the shop) from Lee Valley for $7.95. The thing is just amazing. I use it to mark dovetails and to start cuts. I also have an LED jewlers lamp that I like. The LV is the most useful of the two in the shop. If you are looking for a larger light I am not experienced. I too have maglights that I might convert to LED someday.

Jim

Steve knight
01-03-2012, 7:53 PM
the better single LED lights are going to be the brightest. but they will need good rechargeable batteries or you won't get much of any life out of any standard battery.

Rick Potter
01-04-2012, 2:51 AM
I have several of the little ones, and was impressed enough to get a 3 D cell Maglite. It it brighter than my old 3 cell maglite, but it is made of thinner material. This probably makes no difference but I thought I would mention it.

Last year I bought several 2 D cell Duracell lights. They absolutely blow away the LED maglite, with 3 D cells, I have. They only cost $13 at Costco, although my last visit there I could not find them.

Rick Potter

Tom Winship
01-04-2012, 9:09 AM
I went to lowe's yesterday and bought a 2D LED Maglite. It is plenty bright for me. Now I will se about battery life.

David G Baker
01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Steve K,
I accidentally left one of my LED flashlights on for over 2 weeks, (it was one that had two settings a bright and a dim), on the dim setting. The batteries are still strong as they were when they were new. In my experience the batteries last much longer than in standard flashlights.

Rob Lindquist
01-04-2012, 2:52 PM
An easy to pick up LED light is a Coleman found at nearly any store, incuding Walmart. They have the "CREE" LED I believe and are super bright, they have several models and the brightest I think I remember as 220 Lumen, for under $30. I bought two, one around 150 lumen and one 220, they have both been used a lot bowhunting and gun hunting deer since September, and including a week long trip to Canada. The brighter one says 6 or 9 hours, but I have used it more than that, and the kids play with it too. The less bright model was a longer run time, but still very bright. We were able to find our way in a boat in the dark with foggy conditions, it is amazing actually.

I am very impressed with them after seeing my dads I bought some, and everyone I hunted with has purchased them. Another one that gets good reviews under $30 is at Archerytalk.com, one of the forums there talks about it and I dont recall haveing anyone say anything bad about it, once the received it.

Bryan Morgan
01-05-2012, 2:07 PM
LED flashlights are awesome, a hundred times brighter then a normal flashlight!
i have about twenty or more of these flashlights i got for free from HF with
coupons i had. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-2-half-inch-nine-led-flashlights-2-pack-97036.html
but check out all the other cheap flashlights they have available at the next link.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?keyword=flashlight

and just for a super cheap aluminum light these little buggers work great, so i
can only imagine what a good quality maglight could do?

i place these little ones all around my house, garage and workshop in case power
ever goes out im only a few steps away from one wherever im at.

Haha Same here. I have them everywhere. They aren't too bright, but for free I'm not complaining.

John alder
01-05-2012, 4:51 PM
I can't agree more these little lights are amazing.Harbor freight is opening many new stores on LI NY and giving them away free with a coupon.I know many will say they sell cheap stuff but if you get it on sale at big discounts I say why not.

Tom Winship
01-05-2012, 5:32 PM
I have a $30 HF chain saw blade sharpener. Down here the charge from $4-$8 to sharpen a chain. Worst case, sharpen your chain 8 times and you have paid for it, disregarding the time and gas it takes to get it to the sharpener.

Larry Frank
01-05-2012, 8:39 PM
My son has a couple of LED lights for cave diving. These are very bright LEDs and have a strong spot. Some are rechargeable and others us batteries. They also seem to be very tough and take abuse. Of course, they are waterproof down pretty deep. At least deeper than I am certified to dive.

jared herbert
01-05-2012, 9:04 PM
I have the maglite 3d cell flashlite. I bought an led conversion bulb from gemplers. All you change is the bulb. I could have sworn that the bulb came in a maglite package but it was a couple of months ago and I dont remember for sure. It works good. Havent used it long enough to judge battery life but it is bright. Jared