PDA

View Full Version : Which plunge router to buy

Roger Bullock
01-02-2012, 8:09 AM
I'm needing (alright I confess, I'm going to buy it regardless if I need it or not) a plunge router. What do you suggest for an all round decent one to buy and why?

Bill Huber
01-02-2012, 8:59 AM
I can not say it is the best out there, I have not tried every router out there. I have 2 of them and have had really no problem with them and they both work great in the router table. I have done raised panels with them on the router table.
Right now the price is right, $179 on Amazon, Bosch 1617 EVS kit, that gets you a plunge base and a fixed base 2 1/4 hp router.

Greg Bender
01-02-2012, 9:05 AM
I can't argue with Bill's choice so I will add the Bosch 1613EVS to the list. I also have a PC 890 and two Hitachi M12's for my Router table and other than the size being dictated by what you are doing with them ,I'd have to say that the Hitachi's have been a super value considering what I throw at them .Good Luck whichever way you go.
Greg

Kevin Presutti
01-02-2012, 9:48 AM
Roger,
You may want to look at this router if it is for a table Milwaukee 5625-20
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5625-20-2-Horsepower-Variable-Adjustment/dp/B00007FPJK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325515287&sr=8-1

and there is the Milwaukee 5616-24 multi base
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616-24-Max-Horsepower-Multi-Base-BodyGrip/dp/B000QV1CXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1325515438&sr=1-1

Patrick Galpin
01-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Roger, I have had the Triton model since it was introduced and have been very happy with it. The micro adjust is really accurate and easy to use when it is mounted in a table, ton's of power and easy to adjust.

glenn bradley
01-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Disclaimer: routers are a very tactile tool and what is "best" for one person may only prove "average" for another. Try to get your hands on the ones that make your short-list.

The Triton is a nice router; dad has a couple of them. There is a short learning curve for the controls which differ from our familiar western layouts. I have a half dozen or so Milwaukees; 5625's for the tables, 5616-24's and 5615-24's for combos. Not one of them has given me any reason not to smile during use in 5-6 years of use; they just perform very well, every time. The 5616's have plenty of power for handheld stuff and Milwaukee's plunge mechanism is pretty nice. The 5615 loses the variable speed and some power but, the lighter tool is great for jig work. I plunge 1/2" mortises without issue with the little 5615. The 5616 and 5615's can swap around between bases so I have multiple plunge and fixed bases that I use with different powered motors as the need demands.

I have Bosch routers as well and the combo's have quite a following. The DeWalts I've tried have gone back; they're just rickety when compared to others in the same price range. Ryobi's you get what you pay for and I would walk away. The Ridgid's are priced like better machines but, I couldn't talk myself into keeping it. The Makita's look and feel real nice but, I have never actually fired one up, just played with them at the store ;-)

Van Huskey
01-02-2012, 6:11 PM
Pat Warner recommends the DW621.

My favorite approach is a muti-base router and my personal favorite is the Bosch MRC23EVSK, I loved the 1617 but the MRC23 is a MUCH better setup though at a higher price point.

Scott T Smith
01-02-2012, 7:11 PM
Gregory Paolinia had a write up a few months back in FWW comparing various routers. I think that it was around July or August. He reviewed small routers in one issue, and larger ones in the next.

Probably worth looking at the review.

johnny means
01-02-2012, 7:41 PM
If you are looking for a do all work horse the big 3hp Porter Cable is the gold standard.I've never worked in a shop that don't have at least a couple of these. Except for the price I can't see any compromise in this beast. I've probably used almost every router made in the last twenty years and this is probably the only one I've never seen broken.Now, it is a lot of machine and weighs a ton, but if you see yourself ever using large panel cutters our pattern cutting this thing is unbeatable.

Jim Rimmer
01-02-2012, 8:22 PM
Can't really recommend what to buy but second the idea to stay away from Ryobi - got one, hate it. I got the 3.25 hp Triton for Christmas; haven't used it yet but would not recommend it unless you plan to mount it in a table - it weighs in at 13# (I got it specifically for my table). Lots of folks here speak highly of Porter Cable - I have 3 of the smaller 690s for router jig use and like them but can't pass judgment on the larger ones.