PDA

View Full Version : Octagon table pedestal advise needed.

Roger Bullock
01-02-2012, 7:51 AM
I need to make an octagon table base for a coffee table. Any advise or ideas on how to do this on the tablesaw? The first 45 cut is a no brainer but the second 45 cut on the same board only leaves the sharp edge to ride the fence. Comments.

Lee Schierer
01-02-2012, 8:49 AM
As long as the sharp edge is straight you should be able to make the cut just fine on your TS. There are two options:
1. You may need to put the sharp edge up against your fence, which may mean you need to make the cut to the left of your blade.
2. You can also stick a piece of 1/4" plywood to your table top filling the space between the fence and the blade to get the sharp edge up on the face of your fence so it doesn't try to ride under the fence.

Try it on some scrap first to see if you are comfortable with making the cuts.

Dick Brown
01-02-2012, 3:02 PM
On a left tilt saw, the leading edge is up against the fence and the blade is exiting on the short or inside of the angle, therefore no chipout on the finish side. If you have a right tilt, put the fence on the left side of the blade as the other post says. If you are going to have the sharp point down and it tries to go under the fence, use a chunk of sheet metal right angle flashing clamped against your fence with the work riding on top of the bottom ( horizonital ) flange. I have a chunk that I bent clips on the ends to hook around my fence face. Use it to cut laminate and keep it from trying to go under the fence. Cheap and works great.

Roger Bullock
01-02-2012, 4:44 PM
I like both of your ideas. I think I will try the 1/8 or 1/4 inch plywood double stick taped to table. Was thinking to go one step further by attaching the plywood to the table with the blade lowered then raise the blade to also create a zero clearance around the blade.

James Hamilton
01-02-2012, 5:03 PM
Try making four 10 degree cuts followed by a final 5 degree cut. Works for me :D

Wes Grass
01-02-2012, 6:00 PM
Octagon? 45°?

Not mitered corners, but knocking the corners off a solid piece? Or am I confused?

If it's just the corners, and you don't like running the sharp edge on the fence, you could put a small flat on them with a router and chamfer bit.

Roger Bullock
01-02-2012, 8:50 PM
Used Lee's method of placing 1/4 " plywood to table with double stick tape to raise the pointed edge higher on the fence. Worked great, I how have my octagon base cut and awaiting glue.

Pat Barry
01-02-2012, 9:17 PM
Octagon base would need 22.5 angle on each board I believe, not 45. 45's would give you a square base. I would recommend a cross-cut sled, made for this purpose, and dedicated to the 22.5 deg angle.

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2012, 9:39 PM
Research "bird's mouth bits." On edge of board is square, and other receives a bird's mouth. Square edge locks into bird's mouth. After glue sets, excess is planed or sanded off.