PDA

View Full Version : Deep calipers"

Ron Bontz
01-02-2012, 12:02 AM
I have a 14" tall x 7.5" dia. piece I am going to turn into a vase, (maybe, I hope). Anyway I was looking for a deep set of calipers similar to my 7" double ended Sorbys. I have had no luck. Veritas makes a single ended Max of 12" more like a regular set of calipers. Anyone have any other sources for checking the thickness 13" to 14" deep? Sorry I have no laser guided monster, so this will be a free hand challenge using a Grumbine gouge and Sorby extra long hollow scrapers.
Note to John K. From the center of the base to the outer edge of the top = 10 degrees from vertical. Sound about right? Famous last words: "Looked good on paper":) Thank you in advance.

Bob Haverstock
01-02-2012, 6:38 AM
Ron,

Do you have a wall thickness in mind? Let's say that the desired thickness is 5/16 of an inch, cut an elongated "C" shape that can fit over the wall and extend to the botton of the vessel. Masomite of thin plywood shoud be good enough, make the space between the tips on the "C" a radiused 5/16 of an inch plus a 1/32". When boring the vessel check the wall thickness frequently, step down and check. Any spot that gauge won't clear is too thick.

Have fun and be safe.
Bob Haverstock

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-02-2012, 8:19 AM
Ron,
Bob offered you the least expensive way and it will work. If your need for a deep reaching caliper is often, you can try the Kelton Caliper. They make two sizes and the larger will reach that depth. I have the smaller version and it suits my needs. They are kind of pricey but work well when you need to measure hard to reach places.
faust

Ron Bontz
01-02-2012, 9:52 AM
Thank you. For some reason I did not even think about making one. Oh duh moment.

Ted Calver
01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Bob's method also works with heavy wire. I use ten gauge fence wire. Just bend it into a long, narrow 'U', with a short 'L' shape perpendicular leg on each end. Set the distance between the legs at 1" and measure wall thickness relative to that.

Paul Heely
01-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I use 3/16" rod that I get from the local hardware store. Bends easy enough, but holds it shape. Cost about $3 for a 3' piece.

Wally Dickerman
01-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Coat hanger wire.

Jamie Donaldson
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Here is a selection of Ellsworth style calipers that you can easily make from heavy wire. The inside point follows the inside wall, and the air gap on the outside shows any variation in wall thickness. They also work very well for hollowing through a small top opening, and you can make a bunch for various purposes with a minimum investment! Cheap is good! Phrugal!

robert baccus
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I love handmade tools but the Veritas is one tool worth the money. i do a lot of vases and i still make a funnel or two (only on expensive wood) but this is a superior tool.---------------old forester