PDA

View Full Version : Collaborative vase

Dennis Ford
01-01-2012, 9:20 PM
This was turned yesterday as joint effort between myself and Derek Powers, Chet Winger brought the wood and stayed to watch (Chet is a good turner but only wanted to watch this time). We had a lot of fun.
The wood is Red Oak burl with extensive white rot spalting. It was just solid enough to turn without much tear-out (had been drying at least 11 years). Even though it was very dry, most of the bark stayed on around the opening. It is 9 inches tall, wall thickness is ~1/4 inch with the bottom a little thicker. I usually like thinner walls but was not sure the wood was strong enough on this one. There are a lot of worm holes, we decided to use a matte finish (lacquer with the gloss sanded off).

Kathy Marshall
01-01-2012, 9:31 PM
Really nice form and that wood is striking!

charlie knighton
01-01-2012, 9:50 PM
ditto......

Baxter Smith
01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Pretty neat. I never would have guessed what kind of wood that was.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Really nice form and wood. Nicely done.

Jamie Donaldson
01-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Excellent form with some most unusual oak! Your photo is underexposed, causing a lack of contrast and color saturation.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I really like the form on this. The wood is very unusual in that it doesn't look like any wood I have ever seen. Actually reminds me more of a turned nut! Nice work you two!!

David E Keller
01-01-2012, 11:49 PM
That's beautiful! It doesn't hurt that you started with a phenomenal piece of wood, but you definitely did it justice! Thanks for sharing!

JOHN A.WOOD
01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Excellent work on a nice piece of wood. Wonder why Winger did not turn it>

Jim Burr
01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Two words for ya...A...mazing!

John Keeton
01-09-2012, 6:38 AM
I am finally settling in on the forms I like in vases, and this is one of them! The higher shoulders seem more appealing to me, and the wonderful curve you achieved on the lower portion is perfect. I love the effect of the wood - to what do you attribute the black stained areas?

Dennis Ford
01-09-2012, 7:34 AM
" Wonder why Winger did not turn it "
He showed us a piece that he had turned from this same wood (11 years ago), he has much more patience than me. There is no way I could keep a nice blank that long.

" to what do you attribute the black stained areas? "
I think what you are seeing are bark inclusions (there are several) but my poor photography skills hid them.