PDA

View Full Version : Shop cabinet question

Jerome Hanby
01-01-2012, 8:52 PM
I recently finished a Tom Clark style shop cabinet. Installed a French cleat on the wall and on the cabinet back. Once I got it up on the cleat, all was fine. But lifting this 6 ' tall 2' wide, 2' deep cabinet up the wall was almost beyond me. Is there some inexpensive gizmo to aid in lifting cabinets?

Andrew Pitonyak
01-01-2012, 9:11 PM
the one I see most often is called "gillift", looks pretty helpful. Oh wait, seems it has been discontinued.... search for TelPro Cabinetizer Cabinet lift. I saw mention of others, but will not pursue them.

I found a post on woodweb where someone was chatting about building his own cabinet lift.

Ron Kellison
01-01-2012, 9:17 PM
If you're not lifting it very high e.g., 3-4 inches you could always rent a Johnson bar (also known as a prybar or prytruck). http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001295.php

Regards,

Ron

scott vroom
01-01-2012, 9:32 PM
Is there some inexpensive gizmo to aid in lifting cabinets?

Yes there is.....a six-pack is usually sufficient to induce a neighbor to help :)

frank shic
01-01-2012, 11:06 PM
+1 for the neighbor suggestion but i usually build upper cabinets in a modular fashion so i can get them up solo without hurting myself

Jerome Hanby
01-02-2012, 3:14 AM
Think I found a usable shop made version where someone posted pretty detailed pictures. Uses a plywood laminated beam, appliance casters, a hand cranked winch and a garage door pulley. Think I'll build one before I try lifting any more of these cabinets <g>. I think i saw the other lifts mentioned, i hit the same discontinued model with a link to the new one. Looks like they for for about $700 for a 24" model!

Rich Engelhardt
01-02-2012, 7:28 AM
Is there some inexpensive gizmo to aid in lifting cabinets?
Time.... & a cheap bottle jack or come along..having someone with their finger poised on the "send" button of a cell phone w/911 punched in is a good idea also ;)

I've learned over the years that if/when you need to lift or move something heavy, you need either time or money.
Since I've always lacked the latter, I usually go with the former.

Lift or move in small stages.
It takes longer, but, you get to keep the six pack for yourself! :D
jk...however - finding help is a lot harder than it sounds.
Heavy objects can take on a mind of their own in a heartbeat.
Unless a person is experienced with how to manage a heavy load, they can become a liability in a hurry.

Usually, a heavy weight only needs a small portion of the total weight lifted by a small amount.