PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Eurekazone owners:

John Miliunas
03-12-2005, 5:30 PM
No, you don't have to sell me on it, as I've been an extremely happy owner of the system for quite some time now!:) I am however, a bit curious to find out if any of you have the new SCS clamps. I see where they would be extremely useful "on site", where one may not have the Smart Table handy, but I probably do 90% of my EZ cutting on the Smart Table. Would it be worth the additional $$ for the set of SCS clamps or maybe just go with the "upgrade" kit?:confused: Appreciate any feedback, folks!:) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-12-2005, 10:14 PM
John,

I just got the EZ setup from Dino but it did not come with the new style clamps. I can't say "first hand" how well they work, but everything I've seen Dino crank out is nothing short of "top notch".

BTW, I used the EZ setup with the router guide to make a set of dados. ;) I have fallen in LOVE with a better, easier and more accurate way for making dados. The EZ way!!!! :D

Dino Makropoulos
03-13-2005, 12:42 AM
No, you don't have to sell me on it, as I've been an extremely happy owner of the system for quite some time now!:) I am however, a bit curious to find out if any of you have the new SCS clamps. I see where they would be extremely useful "on site", where one may not have the Smart Table handy, but I probably do 90% of my EZ cutting on the Smart Table. Would it be worth the additional $$ for the set of SCS clamps or maybe just go with the "upgrade" kit?:confused: Appreciate any feedback, folks!:) :cool:

Hi John.
The SCS is good for narrow stock. Less than 1". Anything larger than 1" you can use the regular smart clamps. I think the best way is to have 2 more smart clamps. This way the 4 smart clamps lift the wood from the floor/table and you don't need a cutting table. :)
Or if you cut long and croocket moldinlgs/wood (srtaight line rip/jointer)
you can clamp from the end and from the sides. Or you can remove the lock nut and spring and clamp only from the side (if the board is longer than the guide and very narrow)) I think is better to have 2 more clamps and if you need the SCS you can allways get the upgrade kit. :D
The benefits of the SCS is the very narrow stock capacity and that you don't have to reclamp the piece every time. You can just move-push the wood to your next cutting line. The clamping head is made from UHMW plastic that allows you to secure the wood while cutting but move it with side pressure
It is confusing some times to try explaining how EZ it is. :confused:

Tony Falotico
03-13-2005, 9:30 AM
Hi all, I just got my Smart Table built last weekend, built it so I can back the truck up to the overhead shop door and slide a sheet of plywood onto it with minor lifting required. The ol' back just ain't what it used to be! I cut some birch plywood for cabinet sides, worked like a charm and didn't need to clean it up with the table saw. So far I LIKE IT! So does LOML, now she doesn't have to help me struggle a sheet of plywood through the TS .

Dino, when is the Sliding Square going to be available. Looks like a great upgrade.

Joseph N. Myers
03-13-2005, 10:23 AM
John,

Yes, use the clamps in instead of the table and in fact, going to use it this afternoon. Have to trim some bookcase partitions to fit for some bookcases I build for a woman that meet in a corner, and have a 12" space where they overlap. I like the extra foot of storage but the she doesn't so .....

Problem is that her place is maybe 200 ft from the road but almost straight up. So the less I carry, the better. I just use 4 clamps to get the wood off the floor thus eliminating the Smart Table or balancing the wood while cutting. See attached pictures.

Guide is 26", much better that the 50" when use for cross cutting dimensional lumber. And to that end, I too am waiting for the Sliding Square (as I do a lot of dimensional cross cutting).

Regards, Joe

John Miliunas
03-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info, gents! Sometimes the simplest things just get overlooked; Yeah, I can see where just another pair of the Smart Clamps should take care of any "other" cutting needs. Cool. I like the idea of having another set for the shorter rail anyhow.:) Now, how about that sliding square?:) :cool:

Dino Makropoulos
03-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Dino, when is the Sliding Square going to be available. Looks like a great upgrade.

Morning Tony.
We try to follow the same design philosophy in the sliding square/Fence as in the smart clamps and clamping system.
One basic square/fence for crosscutting lumber and small panels (less than 24") and one that can be upgraded (if needed) to a whole new system that includes 360 mitering capabilities,inter grated measuring system to any length) positive locking in 6 preset miters and few other ideas that will make the EZ-EZier to use.
And you be the first one to know when. I will need a vacation after this one and Florida looks better every day. :)

Dino Makropoulos
03-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Joe. I like your picture with the tablesaw.And I have an idea for you. :rolleyes:
Remove the blade and put the smart table top kit on it. :rolleyes:
Then you have the first EZ Smart-safe table saw system. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
03-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Morning Tony.
We try to follow the same design philosophy in the sliding square/Fence as in the smart clamps and clamping system.
One basic square/fence for crosscutting lumber and small panels (less than 24") and one that can be upgraded (if needed) to a whole new system that includes 360 mitering capabilities,inter grated measuring system to any length) positive locking in 6 preset miters and few other ideas that will make the EZ-EZier to use.
And you be the first one to know when. I will need a vacation after this one and Florida looks better every day. :)Dino,

Put me on the list for this one as well! I would love to receive an email that it is ready! :)

Should be a great addition to the system!

Jeff

Dino Makropoulos
03-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Jeff.
Don't worry. I got your number.
And by the way, I like to thank you and ALL SMCrickers for the support and
(I can't even say it in English) the willingness to try something new that "may" put an end to difficult and dangerous woodworking tasks.
Now, back to the prototypes so I can get your money. :rolleyes: :D
Thanks Jeff.

Tony Falotico
03-13-2005, 8:24 PM
I will need a vacation after this one and Florida looks better every day. :)

Let me know when, dinners on me. You can take me for a ride in your FIAT. Haven't seen one in years (yes, I'm, an X-Fiat owner, they were a fine car in their day).

John Miliunas
03-13-2005, 8:44 PM
Haven't seen one in years (yes, I'm, an X-Fiat owner, they were a fine car in their day).
Brings back memories here, too. My FIL, may he RIP, had one years ago, which he used as his Summer-runner. Actually, he originally had two. OK, he had two halves! He literally split the two in half and took the good front, mated it with the good rear on the other one and made it whole! It was purple, no less!:D
Hey, now that I think about it Tony, that would've suited YOU quite well. After all, we DO know what FIAT stands for, right!:D (Sorry, couldn't resist!:) ):cool:

Tony Falotico
03-13-2005, 9:51 PM
we DO know what FIAT stands for, right!:D (Sorry, couldn't resist!:) ):cool:

Alright John, I'll bite ----- I know that ToNY is what you call all us Italians; that's the tag they put on us when they shipped us over TO NY (New York).

Sorry I honestly don't know what FIAT stands for.......... I'm waiting :D :D :D

John Miliunas
03-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Alright John, I'll bite ----- I know that ToNY is what you call all us Italians; that's the tag they put on us when they shipped us over TO NY (New York).

You're kidding! Thought everyone knew that one! Sheeeesh....I guess I AM as old as I feel!:eek: FIAT= Fix It Again Tony.:D :) :cool:

Dino Makropoulos
03-13-2005, 10:19 PM

I' don't know what it use to stand for, and I only fix my FIAT once.
Last year,the FIAT hit a big dead Buck on the way to S. Carolina and flew over a semi, landed in front of another, and keep going. Until overheat because I lost the antifreeze. ( radiator damage). And all that with 85 miles. Why do they have this high speed limits? :rolleyes: It was on I-85 South. Virginia. :confused:

For history only. My flying Fiat was designed by Pininfarina. The best car designer ever. (Ferrari) It was, and still is the best looking car.
If you look at the new Porsche's, you will see Pininfarina allover. :cool:

Tony Falotico
03-13-2005, 11:03 PM
John: when LOML & I got married, she drove a SAAB & I drove a Fiat. Spent many (Read MANY) a night and weekend underneath those two cars. Man, Those were the days !! The SAAB was mine before we got hitched, then we bought the Fiat. The Saab was a 1967 Monte Carlo edition (pre 99, the 99 being model number not year, was the forerunner of todays 9000), looked like a big mouse, boasted a three cylinder two cycle engine with three one barrel Solex Carbs, one feeding each cylinder. T'wasn't a VW, Toyota and/or Datsun that could touch it. Funny though, that was during the muscle car era, so the smaller foreign cars were not taken seriously, they were more economy. But with gas at 19.9 a gallon, who cared!

Dino: What make & model do you have. My favorite was the 124 Sport Coupe and the 124 Convertible. The older two seater Spider was also a great little car, although very finicky.

Dino Makropoulos
03-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Dino: What make & model do you have. My favorite was the 124 Sport Coupe and the 124 Convertible. The older two seater Spider was also a great little car, although very finicky.

The 124 spider (pininfarina) :cool: . 2000cc DOC 1979. :cool: 63.000 original miles. :cool:
I can't wait for summer. ;)

Mike Holbrook
03-14-2005, 12:24 AM
I use to have a 124 Spider. I loved driving that thing through the Carolina mountains. Mine was Dark Blue. Great car, could not quite keep up with my college room mates Shelby GT in the straight aways, and I found out one night that it was not built to corner with 5 hefty college guys in it ....but other than that :)

I would probably still own one but they are not all that great for pulling trailers with tractors on them, and you can't get many dog crates in one either :(

David Figueroa
03-14-2005, 1:00 AM
Sorry, I am confused, can someone please explain the difference between a smart clamp and scs?

i.e. is sms = 2 more smart clamps?

Why could you not use smart clamps for a narrow stock? (Also why are they so expensive?)

Can you use the smart clamps for ripping 3.5" flooring planks, or would it be better or safer to use scs?

Thank you

thanks

Steve Clardy
03-14-2005, 1:37 AM
Dino. Let me know when the sliding square is available also.
Steve

Dino Makropoulos
03-14-2005, 1:47 AM
Sorry, I am confused, can someone please explain the difference between a smart clamp and sms?

i.e. is sms = 2 more smart clamps?

Why could you not use smart clamps for a narrow stock? (Also why are they so expensive?)

Thank you

thanks

Hi David.
The smart clamps is just clamps. You can use them to cut narrow stock down to an inch. And even down to 1/2" if you rotate them.(remove the lock nut and spring) If you use 4 smart clamps you have something similar to SCS.

But. If you do multiple cuts on the same piece of wood, you have to re-clamp
the wood every time.
Let say you need to make edging (1/32") from a piece of wood. With the SCS you just move the wood to your next cutting line and you don't have to re-clamp.
Other benefits of the SCS is that your stock is always square to the guide rail because the clamping head is the entire width of the guide rail. And this is good special for very narrow stock. It will give you a square cut down to 1/4". This is few SCS features of the top of my head.

And about the price. The smart clamp is made out of 12 parts.
Anodized aluminum, SS studs,heat treated body and all the rest parts. Plus the labors. machining and assembly. And all that for $20.00

Now. Do you need the SCS? maybe not.But if you work with narrow stock you do. And if you have the 2 (included with any EZ Smart system) smart clamps, you only need the up grate version. SCS-U. (upgrade)
Hope this helps.

Dino Makropoulos
03-14-2005, 2:04 AM
Can you use the smart clamps for ripping 3.5" flooring planks, or would it be better or safer to use sms?

Thank you

thanks

David.
For 3.5'' the smart clamps are fine. You don't need the SCS.
Good luck.

Steven Herbin
03-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Dino-

Stop fooling around and get back to work on the Sliding Mitre. I'm already 3 to 4 years behind on my projects that need it!

Probably the same as everybody else!

--Steve.

J E (Jim) Martin
03-14-2005, 11:33 AM
To start posting the latest part of my EZ Smart System real world review. It will be up this week and I can't imagine safely dressing lumber this size alone without the EZ Smart, I have to sort out the pic's, I made an extended Smart Table setup to manage the size of this Red Oak. :D

David Figueroa
03-14-2005, 1:32 PM
And about the price. The smart clamp is made out of 12 parts.
Anodized aluminum, SS studs,heat treated body and all the rest parts. Plus the labors. machining and assembly. And all that for $20.00

Now. Do you need the SCS? maybe not.But if you work with narrow stock you do. And if you have the 2 (included with any EZ Smart system) smart clamps, you only need the up grate version. SCS-U. (upgrade)
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your response, I am working on a flooring project... I thought I might needed to buy the scs. Regarding the price, isn't the scs is listed for $69? I am not complaining, just wondering.

Steve Clardy
03-14-2005, 3:48 PM
To start posting the latest part of my EZ Smart System real world review. It will be up this week and I can't imagine safely dressing lumber this size alone without the EZ Smart, I have to sort out the pic's, I made an extended Smart Table setup to manage the size of this Red Oak. :D
Thats a rather LARGE chunk of Oak? you got there.
I have a 6/4 18" x12' one I am saving for a future table project. Clear all the way through, both sides.

Dino Makropoulos
03-14-2005, 5:34 PM
Thanks for your response, I am working on a flooring project... I thought I might needed to buy the scs. Regarding the price, isn't the scs is listed for $69? I am not complaining, just wondering.

Hi David.
(2 clamps come with any system)
Each aditional smart clamp is $20.00
To upgrade the 2 smart clamps into the SCS
you only need the upgrade SCS-U kit. $40.00 a pair.
If you need a whole new SGS complete, you need 2 smart clamps and one pair of SCS-U. Each unit is $20.00. The complete SCS is made out from 4 units. $80.00
But instead spending the money there is better to get 2 more smart clamps for $40.00. Unless you do arts and crafts type of work and you need to cut very narrow pieces,( less than one inch ) or multiple cuts on the same board,the SCS is wasted money.
On the other hand, by having two additional clamps you don't need to carry the saw horses or cutting table with you and you can clamp unusual,narrow.warped and twisted stock.

And if you find something wrong with the price or quality, you should complain. :cool:
Thanks David.