PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Work Bench

BOB OLINGER
01-01-2012, 6:24 PM
I've been using a piece of plywood supported by sawhorses for a workbench of sorts in the middle of my workshop. Given the obvious need for upgrading, I noticed the oak workbenches at Harbor Freight for $159 on sale. I took a closer look and determined they were worth the money. So, I bought 2, the clerk took my 20% coupon for each. After assembly, I put them back-to-back and bolted the tops together. Frankly, I think they are well worth the money - 4 drawers (not cadillac quality, but not too bad, side mount extension slides), vise on one end, bottom shelf (not strong enough for several hundred pounds, but seems very functional), numerous holes on top of bench for bench dogs. After assembly, I showed my wife. She said looks pretty good, but you could use it larger, so she suggested I purchase a third and attach it :) No discussion needed - I made another trip to HF, brought home, assembled a third, and bolted it to the other. Of course, you loose the access to the drawers in the middle bench, but big deal - you have a pretty good sized, solid workbench with 4 underside drawers on each side. Bottom line, I looking forward to this concept at a pretty reasonable cost. Looks like a good recommendation so far.

Duane Bledsoe
01-01-2012, 6:44 PM
I got one a month ago and was thinking of getting more to use along the walls as counters, and then have 2 in the center of the shop as a large table, similar to what you are doing. I wasn't going to bolt them together though. I want mine to remain free so I can put them end to end for a long table, or side by side for a bulky, wide table, depending on what the project might call for. I figured I'd take the vises off of the 2 that go along the walls and attach them to the 2 in the center of the shop. I was also impressed with their quality when I saw them. I got mine for $129 using a coupon. 20% off is slightly better though.