PDA

View Full Version : Christmas drama and trauma and a close shave!!

Brian Brown
01-01-2012, 5:59 PM
This is a shaving set that I made for my father for Christmas. The brush handle was on the lathe when it died...thus the trauma! (For the story see my August post.) This was one of the first gifts that we were making for family and the death of my lathe was the source of much drama!! Long story short...I got a new lathe out of it. OK, two lathes and the original is finally repaired.

This set is made out of curly maple and mahogany. I chose the mahogany because of it's water resistance and it is my father's favorite. The stand is an original design, since I couldn't find one that I liked and I hate the kit stands. The cup was sized to fit a shaving soap refill you can find at Walmart. This was one of the first items I started for Christmas and the last to be finished. The mahogany stand top kept breaking because it was to thin. Oh the drama! I finally got it thick enough to not break but still look good. It took so much time that I was buffing it ten minutes before leaving for the family party. The lacquer smell when the box was open filled the whole room. Making it a very Merry Christmas for all! C&C welcome.

Brian Palmer
01-01-2012, 6:06 PM
I love the stands they are beautiful . I did the same kits for several family members this Christmas and I also didn't care for the stands, but couldn't come up with a design myself.

Mike Willeson
01-01-2012, 6:06 PM
Very nice Brian! I have always shaved with a blade and this makes me want to run out and make a set for myself!

David E Keller
01-01-2012, 7:33 PM
Another beautiful Christmas gift! Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2012, 7:36 PM
Beautiful gift and well done.

Baxter Smith
01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Great job on a great gift. Very pretty!