PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Crafts Style Floor Lamps (PIC)

Ralph Barhorst
03-12-2005, 5:12 PM
I just finished two floor lamps. My brother made the stained glass panels for the lamp shades. Stained glass is his big hobby and he has done dozens of pieces and has sold many.

You can imagine that he is going to have one of the lamps and I am keeping the other. It was really nice to work with my brother on this. It worked out very well even though he lives in North Carolina and I live in Ohio. I mailed a CAD drawing of the panel size to him and he went from there.

The woodworking part was my job. Without a doubt the most difficult part was making the lamp shade frames. There were compound angles and the calculations and design took quite a while. Some jigs were also made to assist in the cutting of the parts.

The wood is oak with eight 1" square pieces and a 12" square base with a 10" and a 8" square glued to it.

The finish is three coats of the Sam Maloof finish. I like to have a light color on the lamps so I did not use any stain.

John Miliunas
03-12-2005, 5:22 PM
Those are great, Ralph! AC happens to be a style, which both, LOML and I agree on! (That's amazing unto itself!:D ) No pun intended, but I can see where those would really be a hilight in any room! Your bro did a wonderful job on the glass, as well. :) Any chance you'd be willing to share the source of your plans? I'd have to do it sans the stained glass, but even frosted glass would look good on those! Nice job!:) :cool:

Lou Morrissette
03-12-2005, 5:25 PM
Great looking lamps, Ralph. I can see how the angles on the shades could give you heartburn. The combination of the light oak and the stained glass is a winner.

Lou

Tony Falotico
03-12-2005, 5:45 PM
Looking Good Ralph, stained glass and wood go together beautifully.

Karl Laustrup
03-12-2005, 6:07 PM
Any chance you'd be willing to share the source of your plans?

:) Beautiful Lamps!! :)

As John said, I'd be interested in the plans for those, if you'd care to share!

Jim Becker
03-12-2005, 6:18 PM
Wonderful job on those lamps, Ralph!! They look great!

Bob Reeve
03-12-2005, 6:51 PM
A & C and Frank Loyd Wright. My favorites and you did them justice. Thanks for the look.

Bob

Jim Stastny
03-12-2005, 8:26 PM
Ralph, Those are absolutely beautiful. I, too, would love to know if you have any drawings for them.

Doug Shepard
03-12-2005, 8:35 PM
I'm not that much of a A&C fan, but I really like those lamps. Awesome.

Alan Mikkelsen
03-12-2005, 9:07 PM
Absolutely outstanding!!:)

Mark Singer
03-12-2005, 9:30 PM
Really beautiful! Excellent job...wonderful design!

Max Schultz
03-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Ralph

Glad you finally got them together and posted the images. Glad to see you have been busy. Now everyone can see how talented you are as I did when I was there. Great job! I am envious.
Max Schultz

Dave Avery
03-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Ralph,

Cool design, and very nicely executed. Dave.

Alan Tolchinsky
03-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I just saw these tonight(Sat) and man did they come out great! I've done some stain glass in the past and your brother did your work proud. You're both very talented. Now I have to think of what lamp to do next. They are a challenge aren't they? Alan in Md.

Ken Gartin
03-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Very nice work!!!! I second Lou M - The natural oak and stained glass combo is great! Really beautiful Ralph! http://member.atlantic.net/~gartink/thumb.gif

Randy Moore
03-13-2005, 7:51 AM
Darn good looking lamps.

As was stated earlier about the plans, count me in on wanting to know where you got them or would you share them?!

Randy

Roger Myers
03-13-2005, 9:35 AM
Great looking lamps...nice collaboration!! You both she be very pleased & proud!
Roger

Ralph Barhorst
03-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all of the compliments. It is nice being a part of such a group.

I designed the lamps myself. I will update my plans and PM them to the people who have asked for them. Please be patient.

Mark Valsi
03-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Ralph,

Looks great !

Where in OHIO are you ?

Mark ex of trumbull county

Ralph Barhorst
03-13-2005, 5:15 PM
Mark- I live in Tipp City, Ohio Just north of Dayton.

Ralph,

Looks great !

Where in OHIO are you ?

Mark ex of trumbull county

John Miliunas
03-13-2005, 5:28 PM
Thanks for all of the compliments. It is nice being a part of such a group.

I designed the lamps myself. I will update my plans and PM them to the people who have asked for them. Please be patient.
Thank you, kind sir and you are most deserving of those comments! :) Very nice design. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and start planning one for my wife's birthday. I know she'd like it and she really needs a new lamp in the LR, where she does most of her reading.:) :cool:

Randy Moore
03-13-2005, 5:46 PM
They are beautiful in my eyes and will be patient.

Thank you and you ARE the man
Randy

Peter Engelmann
03-13-2005, 6:42 PM
I second all compliments. Arts & Crafts style is my favorite, too. Please include me with a set of those plans.

Peter