PDA

View Full Version : New to turning, I have a wood question.

Jack Epperson
01-01-2012, 4:08 PM
I am new to turning. My dad did a little when I was a kid. I always wanted to get in it, so I took the plunge. My question is how long does it take for green wood to dry? I'am sure it is different for different woods. And I am sure humidity affects it. I guess I am looking for a rule of thumb. Also how do you tell when you are turning it if it is dry enough to finish? I'm sure in a year or so I will just know these answers. But now I don't. Any insight will be appreiciated.

Dan Forman
01-01-2012, 4:18 PM
Are you talking about roughed out bowls, or intact blocks?

Dan

David E Keller
01-01-2012, 4:27 PM
About a year per inch of thickness plus a year... At least that's the rule of thumb I've always used. So a two inch thick piece of wood would take +\- 3 years to completely air dry. A three inch thick piece takes about four years. We're somewhat fortunate as turners in that most applications don't require the wood to be completely dry.

Peter Blair
01-01-2012, 4:30 PM
A lot of turners weigh wood and once it stops loosing weight it is dry . . . I use a much less professional approach, if it feels cool to my cheek it is not dry yet.

John Keeton
01-01-2012, 5:15 PM
Jack, first - welcome to the creek!! And, in particular, welcome to the Turners Forum!

There are too many variables to provide a simple answer to your question. In my area, 4/4 wood cut in the winter, will reach equilibrium by the following winter if stickered correctly and stored in a dry environment. But, turning wood comes in all shapes, sizes, and species. The presence of spalting or rot, can cause wood to retain moisture unevenly, and of course, your ambient conditions are most important. If you are in Arizona, then obviously wood will dry quicker than if you live in Washington state.

Whether the wood is waxed or sealed will also affect the drying time.

When in doubt, turn it to near finish thickness, place a paper bag over it and give it a week or two, then finish the piece. Most nearly dry wood will dry quickly once it is taken down to 1/4" or so.

charlie knighton
01-01-2012, 5:19 PM
Jack, welcome as John says, next get some mesquite from around the corner in Texas and do not worry about moisture content

enjoy

Jack Epperson
01-01-2012, 6:32 PM
Thanks for all the good info.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2012, 6:43 PM
Jack - Welcome to the Creek! You don't mention where you are located - and the easiest way to learn about turning is to get with some local turners and have them show you the proper way to turn! Have fun with it and we all are looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Richard Allen
01-01-2012, 7:18 PM
Kiss the wood. A warm kiss is dry wood and a cool kiss is wet wood.

Basically turn a bowl to an even 1" thickness, coat the bowl with green wood sealer and wait a year.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2012, 7:22 PM
Welcome to SMC Jack. You gotten some good advice.