PDA

View Full Version : Baby step.

Brian Palmer
01-01-2012, 3:46 PM
Right now I have a shopsmith band saw and and jet mini lathe. I want to get deeper into turning bowls ect so time for a much bigger lathe and band saw. As much as I wish I had the $$ for a 3520b it ant gona happen. I am thinking about the Grizzly G0555X after reading wood magazines review http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/band-saws/deluxe-band-saws/ and the Jet 1642 or the Nova DVR XP. Any other recommendations or people that have/used these tools would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Vaughan
01-01-2012, 3:52 PM
Brian, I've got the NOVA DVR XP and am satisfied with it. It's done everything I've thrown at it and it's got good power through the range of rpm and hasn't given me a minute's problem. But a lot of it will boil down to personal preference, style, etc, and of course the final price.

John Keeton
01-01-2012, 3:59 PM
Brian, there are a lot of DVR users and Jet users on the creek, and most all of them are happy with their lathes. I am sure there are some Griz G0555X users, as well, but I am not aware of any that I can recall. I have the 1642 2hp. unit and I am very pleased with it. Is there any way you can try out these lathes at a store? The Griz might be difficult, but the Jet is usually available for demo at a Woodcraft. Not sure about the DVR.

Brian Palmer
01-01-2012, 3:59 PM
Just reading in the rest of the forums here and the G0733 had me intrigued now. Maybe if I call and get a both I can get free shipping or some deal out of them =)

Bill Bolen
01-01-2012, 5:17 PM
I've had the Grizz Go555 since '07 and not a bit of trouble and I have cut some big stuff at the full 12" height. The first one they sent me had some major alignment issues that Customer service could not get right so they sent a replacement. New one was much better and is the one I still use today. I've also had my DVR since '09 and it has done everything I asked of it. At first I was afraid it was just too light weight for bigger stuff but with that low speed I've run into zero problems.

charlie knighton
01-01-2012, 5:24 PM
Brian, put your money in lathe, (i have the jet 1642) i have a used band saw which i keep my sand paper etc on, just use maul and splitters, and chainsaw for shaping, sometime shape up with lancelot right angle grinder

enjoy

Joe Landon
01-01-2012, 5:29 PM
Love my Jet 1642VS

Brian Palmer
01-01-2012, 9:36 PM
Didnt realize that Grizzly had a show room just down in Muncy so I am gonna take a trip down some time this week and see what happens.

Russell Eaton
01-02-2012, 8:37 AM
+1 for the 1642. If you keep your eyes out you can ind them used. I found a 110v about 1 week ago for 1000. That is a real good price. Same goes for bandsaws.

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I have the Nova DVR XP and the Grizzly G0555X. Both have preformed well. No problems with either.

Jim Burr
01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I have the 1642 and 0555 with a 6" riser. The combination is really hard to beat!! The lathe is a learning curve...I'll give you this analogy; Years ago I moved up in motorcycles from a 500cc to a Honda Goldwing. Going from 400lbs to 900, 500cc to 1500cc was a huge and scary change! I only rode my wing up and down the street for a week...then about a mile away, 2 weeks and I rode on the freeway for 1/2 mile. By the time I adapted in a few months, I was 80mph in the fast lane on cruise control. It took awhile, but I became so comfortable with it, it was like riding a rice rocket. Same thing with lathes...bigger is scary until you get used to it...but always respect it!

Justin Stephen
01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Re: bandsaws, the Rikon 10-325 is a fantastic bandsaw for the money as the review you linked pointed out. And while I don't see anyone who has it at a terrific price right now, it is an item that has historically been available at good sale prices regularly. I got mine for under $800 with free shipping from Amazon maybe 7 months ago and Woodcraft also seems to deeply discount this saw at least a few times a year. Even at prices today, when you factor in either freight costs from Grizzly ($894) or sales tax if you drive down and buy it in person, you really aren't saving much money with that versus a Rikon at $950 with free shipping and no sales tax.

Of course, the Grizzly may be every bit as good a saw. I don't have any experience with it so I cannot say.

Brian Palmer
01-04-2012, 5:35 PM
Going to to Grizzly tomorrow going to check out the place I plan on looking at the G0733 an maybe if they have a G0698 see what kind of deal I can get on the discontinued model. I think I have decided on a reconditioned Nova DVR XP if I don't care for the grizzly.

James Roberts
01-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Brian, I've been to the Grizzly store in Muncy, Lots to see and it's easy to lose a paycheck in there. Their hours are only 8:30 til 6:00 Mon thru Sat closed Sunday. If you want to save a few bucks to put toward your lathe, drop down a notch and look at the 555P 14' ultimate bandsaw (Polar Bear Series). It's the same as the regular 14" inch ultimate but painted white and about $30.00 cheaper. I love mine and it does all I ask of it. For another $80.00 you can get the riser kit and add 6 inches to cutting height. Just my two pennies.

Billy Tallant
01-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Brian, I've purchased the older DVR 3000 last summer. I've enjoyed it throughly. I still use my Jet 1014 for drilling blanks, but I love the electronic speed control on the DVR. Great machine...

Brian Palmer
01-04-2012, 11:33 PM
What to do What to do I just found a Vega 2600 close by!

Jamie Donaldson
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Brian= the Vega is primarily a pedestal bowl lathe, and the tailstock and alignment leave a lot to be desired in spindle turning operations. Unless you intend to turn only bowls, I wouldn't consider the Vega 2600 a good candidate for all-around turning needs, even if it is dirt cheap, but it does make a nice 2nd lathe in a well equiped turning shop.

Brian Palmer
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Brian= the Vega is primarily a pedestal bowl lathe, and the tailstock and alignment leave a lot to be desired in spindle turning operations. Unless you intend to turn only bowls, I wouldn't consider the Vega 2600 a good candidate for all-around turning needs, even if it is dirt cheap, but it does make a nice 2nd lathe in a well equiped turning shop.
I
Bowl/hollow form is 98% of what I want to do right now it just what interests be the most by FAR. My shop is also my basement which shares my reloading/gunsmithing area also so space if a premium. My dream lathe like most is a PM 3520b but $$ and space right now. That why I have really been looking at the Vega but didn't put it in the running till I found one close by.